TWENTY-ONE

"I want the world in my hands."

M I L E S

I knew I had to tread on thin ice, especially now that we knew Carl was Stacy's father. Too close for comfort.

It was deep into the night as I looked at my poker cards in front of me. The club only occupied a few people tonight. It was Monday, after all. No matter how hard I tried to shake the events from Halloween night, they still stayed engraved in my mind. The girl with gleaming teeth, my conversation with Liam, my new revelation about Jake, and the kiss. God, how much I wanted to bash Liam's teeth in.

For some reason, I had resented him for kissing me. I had resented myself for allowing him to kiss me.

It didn't mean anything. Nothing, nothing. All an act.

"Kid!," I heard the dealer shout, waving a hand in front of my face to get my attention. "Is it your bedtime, or are you going to put your chips in and play like a man?"

Tired laughs went around the poker table. I suppressed the urge to roll my eyes. Maybe it was my bed time?

"I'm cashing out," I announced, yawning. I had the second biggest pot on the table, which meant that if I cashed out now, I'd leave with at least half the pot.

Three-hundred. Wasn't bad, wasn't great. Maybe two weeks ago I would have stayed and tried to win the full pot, but now, I was completely drained. My brain felt dull, my mind equally foggy. Sleep, sleep, sleep, my mind seemed to chant.

The dealer gave me my part of the money and when I stumbled out of the club, I made sure to observe my surroundings, strain my ears for any sliver of noise. My heartbeat settled when I sensed no looming threats. With the breeze of the November night, I walked towards the bus stop.

•••••••••••••••••••

"Yes, I'm sure she's his daughter, we saw a picture of Carl in her room," I told Grace at lunch, tapping my foot insistently.

"Like a family photo?," she asked incredulously, leaning in close.

I nodded.

"Wait," Grace said, scrunching her brows. "Why the hell were you and Liam in Stacy's room?"

Keep it calm. Calm. Nothing happened. A meaningless act. Nothing.

I shrugged. "Coincidence."

She arched a brow, "And you didn't tear each other apart?,"

I shook my head, "I'm still in tact, see?"

"Don't tell me I'm being replaced," she said, crossing her arms.

I scoffed, "Liam. Replacing you? I—."

As if he knew we were speaking of him, Liam came up behind Grace and touched her shoulder lightly. "Mind if I steal my tutor for a second, beautiful?," he asked her, a seductive smile was on his lips as he waited for her answer.

I had to suppress the need to tackle him to the ground. Just to make him mad, to make him stop looking at Grace the way he was.

Grace casted a wary glance my way, but nodded silently. With no seconds to spare, Liam pulled me by my sleeve and lead me away from the cafeteria.

What the hell was this about? Liam never would talk to me in school unless it was to torment me.

When we arrived at one of the janitors closets, Liam shoved me in, closing the door behind him. He was wearing a gray hoodie, and a pair of black jeans. His eyes appeared to be blotchy, and his golden hair was the picture of disheveled.