Chapter 11

"Okay but seriously, we need to do this more often!" Willow says as we walk out of the cinema. "I totally agree. That was so much fun." I say and we laugh. "Let's go get an ice cream there. It's the only place that's still open at this time of the day." I look at my phone and see it's already past 9.30 pm. "Yeah sure." I say and we go across the street. We order 2 sundae's and we sit down at a little table. "What are you thinking about?" She asks as I'm looking out the window. "Oh uh nothing." "Clearly it's something. Tell me." She looks at me and I know she won't stop asking. I sigh and gather the right words.

"Okay so two weeks ago, at my birthday, Luke stayed over for a sleepover. Just as friends you know. Nothing happened." I say and her enthusiastic face turns serious again. "But I don't know. I've started to feel a bit different about him the last two weeks. And I don't really know what to do with it. Our friendship is amazing, and I don't want to risk anything." I take a big scoop of my sundae. "So you like like him?" She just asks. "Really? That's the only thing you have to say?" "That's an answer." "Yeah I guess so." I shrug. "I knew it. I knew one of you would get feelings." She says and smiles. I give her a death look and she just laughs. "This is serious Willow." I say and she nods. "I know. Well you know, if you really just want to stay friends, then don't tell him. But I think he deserves to know the truth." She says and puts a spoon full of ice cream in her mouth. I sigh and look out the window. "I think I'm too late." I say and she looks around. "Is he on a date?" Willow asks. "Well, it can't be his family." I say and put one hand on my head. I take another big scoop of ice cream. "No, don't get all depressed now! Let's go." She grabs my wrist and pulls me out of the ice cream.

"Laugh at something I say and act normal." She says and we sort of run across the street. I laugh and she laughs too. "Yeah that is funny." I say and chuckle. "Alex? What are you doing here?" I hear and look up. Luke and this girl are standing still. "Oh hey Luke. Willow and I just went to the movies and got ice cream. What are you doing here?" "Oh I'm out with a friend. Alex this is Zoë. We know each other from middle school. She just moved back here from New Zealand." I look at the very pretty girl. "Nice to meet you." I say with a very big lump in my throat. "Yeah you too." She says with a smile. "You okay Alex? You look a bit pale." Luke asks and looks a bit worried at me. "Yeah, yeah I'm fine. Just a bit tired. We should get going. Have fun you two." "Uhm, yeah okay. Are you still dropping by tomorrow for horse riding? You're really making progress. I'm teaching Alex how to ride horses." He now says to Zoë. "Oh so you're a student of his?" She asks me. "Oh no not like that. We're good friends. She moved into Mrs West's old house." "Oh yes I remember, she always gave you tons of candy for halloween. Remember that time we dressed up as those two cowboys from Toy Story." "Oh yeah. That's so long ago." They both laugh and Zoë looks at me with a vague look.

"I see you two are having fun. We should go though. My mom would kill me if I don't get home soon." I say and he nods. He looks at me with a very confused look. I drag Willow with me and try to hold back my tears. "Alex wait up." I hear Luke says and stop walking. I turn around and see he's running up to me. "Are you sure you're okay? You seem sad about something." "I'll go get the car." Willow says and walks away from us. "Yeah I'm fine. Don't worry about me. Go have fun." I say and put a smile on my face. "Alex I know you better than that. Something's going on." He puts his hand on my arm and my breath studders for a second. He pulls his arm back and has a worried look on his face again. "I swear I'm fine Luke. Wouldn't I tell you if something was wrong?" He slightly nods. "Yeah I guess so." He says. "See? Now go have fun with Zoë. You haven't seen her in ages." I say and nod at Zoë. He turns around and I see her look at us. "Okay. Get some sleep okay." I nod and he smiles at me. I smile back and he walks back to Zoë. He looks back a few times and then gets to her. She puts her hand on his arm and then looks around to me. She has a bitchy smile on her face, and then puts a worried look on her face when Luke looks at her. Bitch.