Chapter 9

"1, 2, 3, Happy birthday!" I hear and the light in my room flicks on. I hide my head under the blankets for a moment, but then hear two little boys screaming out of joy. I take a look and they're standing there with two wrapped things in their hands. "Goodmorning." I say with a smile and lift them onto the bed. "Happy birthday sweetie." Mom says and gives me a hug and kiss. "Thanks mom." She puts a tray with tea and 2 croissants on my night cabinet. "Give her the presents." My mom says to the boys. They both give it to me. "Let's see." I say and take one. "Can you guys help me?" I say and they rip off the paper with me. "Aw, mom these are so cute." I say and hold the 3 pairs of earrings up. "Yeah? I wasn't sure if you'd like them." "I love them, thank you." I open the second present, and see a whole bunch of necklaces and bracelets. "Mom where did you get these. They are amazing." I say and take them out of the box one by one. "I'm glad you like them." She has one hand behind her back and I look at her. "There is one more present." She says and shows her hand. She holds an envelope and gives it to me. On the front it says To my dear Alexandria. I look at my mom with a confused look and open the envelope. I take out a letter and start reading.

My sweet Alex,

When you read this, it's your 18th birthday and it means I'm no longer around. You are my world and I will always love you. I asked your mother to give this to you, with something else. But we'll get to that later. When you were 5, you asked me what it meant to die. I didn't know how to answer, so I just said you wouldn't feel anything, since you'd be asleep. You believed it and never asked about it again. I remember that moment vividly. You're questioning eyes looking into mine. I always knew you would grow up to be an amazingly strong young woman. And I was right. You grew up so fast when I got sick. You helped your mom with everything, and still went to school and took care of me and in the hospital. Those should've been the times you would have fun with your friends, and not sit in a boring hospital. You never wanted to talk about it, but I knew your friends stopped being your friends when I got sicker.

I regret not saying anything to you about it, but it also meant you got to spend so much time with me. And I'm grateful for that. This way you can continue my legacy by telling about me to your brothers. They will know me through you and your mother. I hope that you can continue your life without me after I'm gone, and that you don't stay stuck in the past. I love you to the moon and back and I'll see you when it's your own time to meet the Lord.

I don't know if you remember, but when you were little you always wanted to steal my necklace. Because you thought it was pretty. I asked your mom to give it to you on your 18th birthday. As a start of a new life, but with a memory to your old one. Happy birthday angel.

With all my love,

Dad.

I whipe away a tear and look at my mom. She's trying to keep her tears from falling down. She takes a little box from the tray and gives it to me. I open the box and when I see his necklace the tear waterfall starts. I take the necklace and mom puts the necklace on me. I step out of the bed and give mom a big hug. "Mommy cry?" Elliott says and I look at the boys. "Look." I say and sit down. I hold the little hanger and show it to them. "This was daddy's necklace. Remember daddy?" "Daddy." James says and points at the necklace. "Yeah that's right. I was daddy's." They focus on theirselves again and I eat my breakfast. Mom takes the boys down, and I get dressed.

"Tada." I say and come down in a off shoulder shirt and a tight skirt. "You look very pretty. Go in front of the 18 balloons. I need some photos." Mom says and I go in front of the white wall. I make a few poses and smile. The boys walk up to me and I take one hand each. "And jump." I say and they try to jump. I lift them in the air and mom takes a picture. I pick them up and they clap their hands. When the photo shoot is over we get everything ready for when the guests come. Most of our family is flying over from California, so they booked a hotel in town. My mom's and my dad's family is coming, so it's gonna be very busy. "Is aunt Angela bringing Rufus with her?" I ask mom as I put one of the pies on the dining table. "No she left him with her friend." "Too bad. Last time I saw Rufus he was a puppy." "You've seen the pictures." "Still different." I say and go into the kitchen. I look out the window and see 2 taxi's driving up to the house.