Chapter 11: the preview of A New Age

Avrigg's pov:

It was all a blur. One moment she was safe and the next she was on a hospital bed, in a deep coma. All kinds of technology was hooked up on her, they could hear her heartbeat but it was weak. So weak. The change that she would survive this were slim. So slim. And Avrigg only felt true guilt for not being there, for not being able to protect her. She never left her side, not once. Everyone was telling her to get some sleep, but Avrigg was functioning pretty fine without sleep. How long had it been since he stabbed her? Two weeks?
She shouldn't be in such a state after that stab, and she couldn't understand why he did it. Now he was gone, nobody could find him. Avrigg was too tired to even help them look for him, she couldn't leave her side.
How she longed to hear her beautiful voice, to see her pretty eyes sparkle when she got excited. How she missed her, she couldn't bear the thought of losing her like this... if she died Avrigg probably wouldn't be able to handle herself anymore.
"Mom," Bandor said but Avrigg did not respond, "mom!"
"Oh, hi there my little genius," she smiled warmly, or at least she tried.
Bandor held up a plate of food for her and he smiled warmly. She frowned as the thought of food disgusted her, yet she took the plate of food her son had to orderly made for her. Everything was symmetrical, Bandor worked like that.
Cassie was out there, following the diplomatic role she always praised to have and Adamari didn't hesitate to join the Blades like Avrigg did. Bandor was so smart, he excelled in Alchemy, which Cassie was rather jealous of and he created everything on Altea, just like Coran's grandfather did and Coran himself of course. He worked with Voltron now that Coran was too old.
"Thank you," Avrigg said and Bandor sat down on a chair besides her.
"I'm not stupid, I know you don't eat," Bandor said flatly, "so I'll stay until you do."
Her son was right. She should eat. She should sleep. But she just couldn't, she was overwhelmed by guilt and couldn't leave. She just had to stay beside her bed.
Avrigg took a bite and forced the food down her troath.
"She'll be fine mom," Bandor said with his thick accent, something Avrigg never got despite all those years on Altea, "she's as tough as nails, she'll be just fine."
"I really hope so," Avrigg said softly as she looked at her. Her chest moving up and down as she lied there silently and still. He must've hit a vital organ when he stabbed her.. Avrigg was trying to make sense of everything but nothing made sense, and nothing remained inside her mind. Every theory she had vanished as soon as they came. She just couldn't function properly anymore.
"I'm close to tracking him down," Bandor said and for the first time she looked away from her longer then five seconds.
"You do?" Avrigg asked her son as she grasped his hand, "I'm sorry for not being the mother you deserve these past few weeks.."
"No need to apologize, I would do the same," Bandor said softly, "and yes. I've already informed them.. They'll find him."
"Finally."