Chapter 3: an angel like sister

"What's her name?" Avrigg asked as she held onto Michelle's hand. Her mother looked exhausted as she held a little baby in her arms. Yandra, the mother of Veronica and now also Lance and Rachel walked in with the two babies in the buggy. Lance and Rachel were only three weeks older then Maisey.
"Maisey," her mother said as she stroked Avrigg's cheek.
"What does that mean?" Avrigg asked as she looked at her little sister.
"It means child of light," her mother answered, "just like your name means soul warrior."
"That's cool," Avrigg said as she touched her sisters cheek softly.
"Do you want to hold her?" Her mother asked and Avrigg nodded.
As she held her little sister she could feel something inside of her, was this what joy felt like? Avrigg smiled warmly as the little baby in her arms opened her eyes and looked up to her.
"Hello Maisey, I am Avrigg," she said softly and she could swear that Maisey smiled, "you are now my best friend."
Avrigg kissed Maisey softly before giving her back to their mother.
"What a beautiful baby," Michelle said softly as she looked at baby Maisey, she then turned around and faced Avrigg, "you were also such a beautiful baby."
Avrigg blinked a few times rather confused.. now she wasn't beautiful anymore.
Yandra however showed Lance to Maisey.
"Look, Lance, there is your new friend," Yandra said and baby Lance giggled, he was only three weeks older than Maisey.
Avrigg had to admit that she was a little jealous, here baby Maisey was only five minutes born and she already had a friend and yet Avrigg was eight and nobody wanted to befriend her. Not even Veronica after so many tries.
Then she picked up Rachel to show to Maisey but she started crying,which caused Maisey to cry as well.
"Put her back, she makes my sister cry," Avrigg said angered. Yandra looked at her surprised before placing her baby back in the buggy.
"Avrigg, don't be so rude," her mother warned her. Avrigg frowned and sat down on the chair. Maisey and Avrigg did have one thing in common, both of their fathers were gone.
Avrigg's blood would boil by the thought of Lenn.
The afternoon that Avrigg got so mad that she actually scared in him a certain way was the last afternoon that he'd spend in their house. Avrigg got so mad that she could swear she felt fangs, it was impossible of course but that was how mad she was. And after that he just got so scared, but her mother didn't.. no her mother was never even slightly intimidated by anyone and Avrigg had always admired that about her. That night he ran away, she talked to him before he left. She despised him, he never even wanted to meet his daughter. Their relationship only lasted a year and she was pregnant for most of it. Avrigg would make sure that Maisey would be nothing like her father, she would make Maisey better then all of them. She would make Maisey ten times better then she was herself.

"What if mom finds out?" Maisey asked as she nervously held onto the wheel, staring at the empty road infront of her. Avrigg chuckled softly which annoyed her little sister only more. The truth was that most fourteen year olds that wanted to go to the Galaxy Garrison already had a background with driving, but Maisey being as nervous and stubborn as she could be always found a reason not to do it. Over the years the Galaxy Garrison started to enroll kids from when they're fifteen, but they must have good grades and school must approve, but nowadays most new cadets already started when they were fifteen. So many kids that wanted to go to the Galaxy Garrison already taught themselves how to drive so that they would at least know how to do that, but not Maisey. So Avrigg had taken their mothers car, yet she thought that they were out to get ice cream but in reality Avrigg decided that Maisey had to learn how to drive.
"We'll be fine," Avrigg shrugged, "remember what I told you?"
"Yeah," Maisey said and she rolled her eyes, "and now?"
"You do as I've instructed you and drive," Avrigg said and Maisey shot her a scared look, "what's wrong Tiny?"
"I'm afraid I'm gonna break the car or something like that," Maisey explained, "and we really can't afford a broken car, mom will murder us and probably prevent me from going to the Garrison."
"You won't break the car, and mom would still let you go even if you did, and besides most people of your age that wishes to go to the Garrison already know how to drive, even that kid Keith that Shiro took under his wing is able to drive multiple vehicles," Avrigg explained but Maisey remained unconvinced, "if you manage to drive around that lantern over there I'll buy you pizza for two weeks."
"Deal. And besides I am not that Keith kid, I am Maisey," Maisey said and she quickly drove away, around the lantern. At least she finally did it so having to pay pizza everyday seemed like a reasonable deal. She watched how her little sister was enjoying driving for the first time, a smile formed upon Avrigg's face.. Yeah, she really did have a great sister.