Chapter 7: true love

Shoutout to Bravepaladins, I got the inspiration from their art.

"Mommy," Avrigg whispered. Her mother turned around to face her daughter. They were in bed and Avrigg was supposed to be asleep but she had questions, like she usually did during the night.
"Yes, sweetie?" Her mother asked as she slowly opened her eyes.
"Why do all the other kids in my class have a father but me?" Avrigg asked her confused.
"You do have a father, he's just not around here," her mother answered.
"Did he die?" Avrigg asked.
"No, he didn't die," her mother said, Avrigg knew how secretive she always was when it came down to her father.
"Didn't he want me?" Avrigg said, "didn't he want us? Is that why he's not around?"
"If he could've stayed he would have, sweetie," her mother answered, "he loved us more then he loved himself."
"So why is he not here? I don't unsterstand," Avrigg questioned.
"Your father is a brave man, right now I can't tell you why he's not here anymore," her mother explained, "one day you'll understand."
"Okay," she whispered.
That was probably one of those topics that she had to be an adult for, she wouldn't understand it now.
"Did you love him?" Avrigg asked and her mother smiled warmly.
"I still do," she said softly, "he is my one true love."
"I don't know what that means, mommy," Avrigg frowned and her mother placed her soft hand on Avrigg's cheek.
"One day you'll meet someone who makes you feel like you can move mountains, who makes you feel like you're constantly drifting through the winds, who makes you feel nervous and so extremely happy it seems almost unreal," her mother explained, "and when that moment comes, you'll just know."

What a lie that was.. Avrigg frowned as she remembered that conversation with her mother from when she was five. She thought Nina was her soulmate, her true love. She was just using Avrigg for pleasure and games. Then there was Osamende who represented a whole different kind of evil and actually murdered her friend. She loved her too. Avrigg had given up on the entire idea of love. One true love might exist for others, such as Keith and Maisey from what she had seen from those flashbacks from Keith, but not for her.
"Stop!" Keith said as he pushed Krolia and Avrigg backwards. It had been just the three of them, plus the wolf for two years. Now they had finally found what they came looking for, but not at all what they had expected.
"An Altean?" Keith questioned and Avrigg frowned as she looked over Keith's head.
A girl. A beautiful, blonde girl. The girl must've heard them because she quickly turned around and their eyes met. Avrigg's eyes widened and she jolted backwards right away, Krolia had to catch her from falling.
"Who's there?" The Altean girl asked. Keith and Krolia both didn't respond as they kept a serious face on.
Eventually Keith stepped out and showed himself to the girl who frowned upon the sight of him.
"I'm Keith, I'm here to help you," he said as he held his hands up, "these are my friends, Krolia and Avrigg."
Krolia pushed Avrigg forward and followed closely behind. Avrigg smiled upon seeing the girl. She was really pretty.
"You're here to help me? With what?" She asked with a stern look on her face.
Avrigg walked up to her and leaned down infront of her.
"We thought all the Alteans were dead, killed by Zarkon ten thousand years ago," Avrigg said softly, "why don't you tell us your story and we promise to help you in any way we can."
Avrigg held out her hand and the girl looked down before carefully accepting her hand.
"I'm Romelle," she said softly.
"Nice to meet you Romelle," Avrigg said, "my name is Avrigg."

"Are you allright?" Avrigg asked Romelle as she sat down besides her.
They had just discovered that Lotor had been harvesting Alteans for generations, meaning that the colony was nothing more but a lie. So many of Romelle's friends were trapped and killed slowly by Lotor.
Romelle looked her in the eye without even showing even the slightest emotion.
"Stupid question, I'm sorry," Avrigg said softly, "but we're going to voltron now, they'll help the rest of the colony.. Krolia is already contacting the Blades. We'll save them from Lotor."
"Do you really think it will work?" Romelle asked Avrigg as she hugged her legs, "voltron? Will they be able to help?"
"Of course they will," Avrigg said, "voltron helps everyone in the universe, they want peace for everyone."
Romelle stared into her eyes as if she was waiting for Avrigg to tell her it was just another lie.
"You'll get to meet my sister, that's cool," Avrigg said, "she's close friends with the old Alteans, her boyfriend told me that at least."
"I am not her boyfriend!" Keith grunted and Avrigg smirked.
"Yet," she whispered as she saw the former leader of voltron blush and stubbornly turn his head away. Romelle chuckled upon the sight of it, meaning that Avrigg got what she wanted. For Romelle to smile.
"I'm sorry we weren't able to save them, to save your brother," Avrigg said as she placed her hand on top of Romelle's, "but we'll do everything to save the others."
"Thank you," Romelle said softly, "for saving me."
"You don't have to be scared of Lotor anymore," Avrigg said, "I'll protect you from now on, I'll kick Lotor's butt back to the lying rock he came crawling under from if I have to!"
Romelle chuckled as she squeezed Avrigg's hand and the Blade could feel her heartbeat raise. Was this what her mother was talking about?