13 | hope

| Alessia |

Obviously, I've never been to school before

When I was six and still had the privilege of walking around the house instead of sitting in the basement, there was a woman who worked for Henry and taught me what was learned at that age, the basics.

Six years have passed since then, and it was naïve of me to think that if I ever left that place, that knowledge would be sufficient.

Then again, it could have been worse. I knew some things, and ironically, I had Henry to thank for that. He usually told me how his day was, which in turn gave me hope.

But he knew it was triggering that feeling inside of me, and that was probably the only reason he told me about it in the first place.

My mind has always been his favourite toy. And although he only played against himself, he won and left an impact.

I became sure about it when I saw the physics teacher writing Newton in capital letters on the blackboard. And I wanted to bury myself when he distributed Newton's Cradles on each table.

When he came to my table, I asked him if I could go to the toilet, but he didn't allow me to.

Since I was sitting all alone and in the back, I pushed the metal balls as far away from me as I could but remained seated and remembered that I wanted to take back control, and running away from a sound was weak. That's why I stayed in my seat and listened to the teacher's instructions.

When he was done, he removed one ball from the others, and everything happened in slow motion. He let go of the ball, and the first stroke sounded. The ball at the other end flew away and the second stroke sounded, which I heard before I closed the classroom door behind me.

Maybe I was weak.

I walked towards the restrooms but turned back when I saw a group of guys with Pietro at the lockers. But he already saw me and called my name.

"Why are you not in class?" He put his arm over my shoulder, and I shut my phone, so he wouldn't see who I was texting.

"Abdominal pain," I replied and quickly placed my hand on my stomach, but he only raised his eyebrow.

"I don't like Physics," I confessed after a few seconds of stressful silence.

"Who does?" It seemed as if he understood my newfound hatred for the subject. Also, I was thankful that he promised that this could stay between us.

"We gotta make you a better liar though," he said as we arrived in front of the restrooms.

"Do you mind riding alone with Leandro today?" he asked me. It was a thoughtful gesture from him- he also offered to drive me to school if I didn't want to go with Leandro, but I declined the offer.