Chapter Thirty: Ambush

Start from the beginning

"About before-" He began, the long-awaited apology nearing

I shook my head "I shouldn't have" I told him, knowing that there would have to be some form of regret boiling inside him.
We were both under pressure, and I assumed that to be the reason for our sudden burst of desperate human-contact.

He shifted slightly, almost uncomfortable "I'm glad you did.."

"Jesse!" Jaxon called over him "Are we going or what?"

I kept my gaze down as he gave a gruff sigh, moving himself away from me.

-

The sun was nowhere in sight, grumbling grey clouds taunting us from above. It was never a good sign, and it always made me cringe.

Things were always more complicated when it came to lack of sunlight. Creatures would be out and about, awaiting their prey, awaiting us to cross their path.

I had relaxed into a steady rhythm and pace with my horse, the horse I had silently named Blaze - the name of my Grandmother's horse.

We had been walking for about two hours now, and the further we moved towards the border, the darker the clouds above us became. Rain would soon follow, I could see it nearing, I could smell it nearing. Lightning flashed in the distance, lighting up the sky in an array of blue and purple like a dazzling fireworks display. I wanted to nudge my horse in the belly, chase the light, catch it like a toddler tried to catch a rainbow and place it in a jar.
It was dangerous, but beautiful.

I kept pace even, making sure that I was a fair space from both Jesse and Talon. I wasn't in the mood to talk, I wasn't in the mood for any form of human interaction.

As time went on, I had expected someone to initiate conversation with me.
Thankfully when that time came it was nor Jesse, or Talon and his friend Boston.
It was Jaxon.

"Hey you" He chirped, falling behind the others to where I rode at the back of the group, like usual

"Hey" I sighed

"So, what happened? Give me the juicy details"
I had expected him to ask sooner or later, and unfortunately for me, he'd chosen sooner rather than later, of course

I shrugged "It wasn't anything special"
I was lying.

"I hope you used protection" He smirked, watching me carefully as my breathing caught in my throat.
I tried not to choke on his words.

I shook my head, defensive "It wasn't like that"

"Not yet?" He pushed, unbothered by my lack of comfort

"That's not going to happen Jaxon"

"No?"

"No" I repeated forcefully, glaring at him

"Why not?" He shrugged, confused as his eyebrows crossed

"You can't be serious?" I scolded him "This is barely a useful conversation"

"Conversations don't have to be useful you bitter woman, now answer the question"

"I'm not answering that question" I told him, refusing as I looked ahead

"Oh c'mon Morgan, we are both adults here" He threw his head back, as though he was a frustrated girlfriend of mine not getting the information she so desperately fished for

My head snapped towards him "One, what makes you think you can call me that? Two, I'm not going to answer something as ridiculous as that, end of conversation"

His mouth lifted into a crooked smile, proud that he'd struck a nerve with me
"One, I know it annoys you, two, you won't answer the question because you know that sooner or later, it's going to happen"