Chapter 9

Shanti

I watched silently from my hiding place as Deimos blew a fine gold dust into Amara's face after the mean woman had punched her. He then lifted an unconscious Amara with ease into his arms, as if she was no lighter than a feather. That awful woman, Nemesis, trailed after him, a victorious smirk on her face. I'd like to see that smile wiped off her face. Horrible old witch. I let a sob escape from my lips at the prospect of never seeing Amara again. Another strangled sob left my lips at the notion of Connor dead. We were all becoming friends but now I'm all alone; I let my mind wander back to the first time I woke up here.

I want my mummy.

With a groan, I opened my eyes as something squishy squelched underneath me. It moved every time I did; I thought I might have been floating in the ocean, bobbing up and down when my eyes slowly came into focus, and I lay on a beanbag in a bookstore and from what I saw, the place was empty; When I sat up, an intense burning filled my chest. An almighty cry left my lips, and I started bawling; the pain was that bad, as if little hot needles were piercing my chest. I was unable to breathe; I took in deep breaths to calm myself, but as soon as it had come on, it went away. I pushed myself to my feet, shaking as I did so, as my bones had turned to jelly.

The bookstore itself was weird. It was all in grey tones, like the old movies I watch with my daddy. I let my mind wander to our favourite movie "Hunterwali" and Fearless Nadia, my favourite Hindi actress. Another sob escaped my lips at the image of not seeing my Daddy to watch it again, but I stopped and sniffed back my tears. If she could be fearless, then I would be too. I straightened my back, puffing out my chest and let out a tentative "Hello?" but got no response. That was strange. Where was everybody? I tried to figure out really hard but I couldn't remember how I got here.

A soft chuckle came from behind me. I spun around so fast I made myself dizzy. I froze. Before me sat an old, wizened man with a large straw hat perched on his head. He was leaning on a cane that was resting between his legs. His dull brown eyes sparkling with amusement.

"How have you ended up at my crossroads, little sparrow?" he mused. I stood there, not knowing how to answer, because I didn't know what he was talking about.

"Hmm, interesting. You should be in Midgard" he was speaking as if talking to himself. I continued to stand staring at him, dumbfounded. What a weird old man.

"Where am I?" I said, after finding my voice. He pulled himself up from the overstuffed chair he was lounging in and plodded to the window, gesturing for me to follow him. I did as he commanded and stood next to him at the window. We both looked out when I noticed a little bookshop on the corner of a dusty crossroads. I could see nothing else beyond the road, everything else was dark. I felt at ease with the old man and safe in the bookshop.

"It would seem Aeron is neglecting his job and not looking after his souls properly." he was talking to himself again. He moved away from the window.

"You shouldn't to be here." He waved a dismissive hand. I moved towards the door, putting my hand on the handle, pulling it open. I was expecting the dirt road outside, but it opened to a lush green forest with a small run-down cottage sitting in the middle of a clearing. I saw a man, no older than 20, standing on the porch where he was leaning on the railing.

"What is your name, mister? I'm Shanti." I said as I turned back around to face the old man.

He let out a hearty laugh "I know, my name is Papa Legba. Now off with you, you cannot linger any longer." When he saw my hesitation, he fished into his pocket and produced a tattered library card, thrusting it into my hand before pushing me out of the door.