Chapter 8

Amara

I looked on in horror. Everything slowed down as Connor shoved me to the floor. The arrow struck him high in the chest and I stared at him as he crumpled to the ground; it filled me with so much terror it caused my limbs to turn to jelly. I scrambled over to his side. My hands hovered over him, unsure of what to do.

Think, moron, think.

I tried to touch it, but he screamed in agony. I began pleading with him to hold on. Blood seeped through his t-shirt and a crimson pool formed around him. The arrow jutted out of his chest, and he was gasping for breath, blood bubbling at the corners of his lips. I cradled his head in my lap, letting the tears flow freely.

This is all my fault.   

"I'm sorry Connor, I'm so sorry." 

No, no, no, this can't be happening. I haven't had the chance to get to know him yet.

There was nothing I could do now but hold him. I had never been so powerless in all my life. At that moment, only Connor and I existed. Blood trickled from his mouth. He attempted to lift his hand, pain clear across his beautiful features, but it fell to his side.

His once cheeky, shining eyes held a glossy tint as his life-force ebbed away from him. His chest rose and fell before he closed his eyes for the last time. That was it, there were no parting words like the movies, no dramatics or screaming, just a silence like no other. That was that. Connor was dead. 

Although I'd only known him for a short while, I still had an overwhelming sense of guilt.

I had gotten somebody killed with my stupidity.

He'd died because he came after me. I should have never been so stupid. He'd saved my life once before. Why was I unable to do the same for him? Despair and anguish washed over me as I wept for him. I could hear the others sniggering at me whilst Shanti's scream filled the air.

Why am I so useless?

I hoisted myself onto shaky legs. Deimos let go of Shanti. She had pure terror etched across her innocent, delicate face. I held my fists clenched at either side, seething at myself for allowing us into this situation and at them for creating it. I had to stop being such a baby and fight my own battles. A resolve resonated through my body. Now was the time to stop feeling sorry for myself. No longer was I going to be a helpless damsel in distress.

"Run, Shanti." I said, but she didn't move from my side.

"Run!" I screamed.

Deimos was about to chase after her, but Phobos held up his hand to stop him.

"We have who we want here."

I stood ready, the fight building within me. Connor couldn't die in vain. I had to make them pay. Anger swelled through me. I hopped from foot to foot, eager for an output to my growing resentment. Who was going to pay first?

"Where has Connor's body gone?" I asked, not lifting her head to look them in the eye. I had to avoid their gaze, or it was all over.

Nemesis smirked "You don't know where you are, do you?" I stared back at her, still not looking into her eyes. I didn't know whether she had the same power as Phobos.

She rolled her eyes as she continued, "We call this place Midgard or the Otherworld. Here lies neither the living nor the dead. You are here to await judgement. To make the choice."

"What the hell are you talking about?" I said in a harsh tone.  

"Your soul, Amara. I'm talking about you soul."

I shook my head. This couldn't be happening. I shouldn't be here. Nothing was making sense.

"Aeron has your orb, he has them all. This is where your soul is kept. Your spirit wanders the Otherworld until you make your choice. Do you return to the Overworld, journey to the Underworld or climb Yggdrasil to the Elysian fields?"

Nemesis came closer, squatting down beside me. She placed her finger under my chin, lifting my face until my eyes reached hers. I stiffened, awaiting the fear, but nothing came, just her whisky coloured eyes gazing into mine.

"Where is everyone else, then?" I spat. She pushed my chin away from her.

"Not everyone needs to make a choice. Sometimes they can just move on. Only the few that remain live here."

"Why does he want us?"

"He doesn't want them; he's been waiting for you." Phobos chimed in.

I had heard enough. Without warning, I jumped to my feet and thrust out a sloppy side-kick. It connected with Nemesis' mid-section; she stumbled backwards, surprised she dropped Medea. I took another chance trying to follow Shanti, but Phobos moved quicker, grabbing my hair, pulling me backwards.

I yelped in surprise. My hands shot up over his to ease some of the intense burning as he held me in a vice like grip. Nemesis righted herself and spun on her heel. She was furious. It rolled off her in waves. I had the dreaded feeling that I'd just kicked the wrong person.

Way to go moron, anger the god-like beings.

"You bitch. If you weren't so important to our cause I'd kill you." Her eyes shone with anger. She said it in a way that I wasn't quite whether she was referring to Aeron. Maybe there was more to this puzzle?

Her hand flew up, and the back of it connected with my chin. I reeled, seeing stars swirling in front of me. I crumbled to the floor; I tried to get up but with my head spinning, my legs kept giving way. Phobos grabbed the back of my nightgown, hoisting me up off the floor so my feet barely touched the ground. He did it with such grace and ease. These people couldn't have been human.

Damn, that was one mean backhand.

I tasted the metallic tang of blood within my mouth. I struggled with Phobos' grip, but it did nothing but sap my strength, so I stilled. My eyes burnt with defiance and defeat. I held Nemesis' gaze with disdain until the last thing I saw before the world went dark was her fist flying towards my face.

Nemesis

My fist connected with Amara's jaw. Her head flew backwards with the force and she tumbled to the floor unconscious after Phobos let go of her dirty tattered nightgown. I looked up to face Phobos. Anger blazed inside of me. How dare he interrupt my hunt?

"How dare you..." he put up his hand to silence me. It added fuel to my fire. I picked up Medea, intending to notch another arrow. She had already killed once tonight. What was one more?

"We have the prize, Nemesis. Let us not fight anymore."

I seethed, lowering my weapon. He was right. The plan was moving too slowly as it is. Aeron would wait not for them, they had to make a move. I elected to keep my mouth shut, and reluctantly followed his lead.

Men do not deserve such luxury.

"Get in my way again Phobos and you will regret it." I shoved past him. Phobos grinned in response.

"Pick her up." He motioned towards Deimos, who sighed in response. Kicking the dirt on the ground, he bent down and slung Amara over his shoulder. He wasn't as vocal as his brother, following orders like a good little dog. I scoffed, continuing on with the two knuckleheads in tow.

"Yes, Master." He mocked.

Authors Note- I hope you are enjoying Amara's story so far, I'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions on how I can improve or what direction you would like to see the story go in?

I appreciate you reading my work and thanks again for stopping by. I hope my chapters are getting better. Any questions please don't hesitate to ask.