26| Jealous

Chapter 26: Jealous (Tristan's POV)

I stood in the doorway, leaning against the frame, watching as he strolled in like he owned the place. Which he doesn't. And he has no right to walk in like he does. His eyes landed on me and he stopped in his tracks. 

Emma moved over, standing in the middle of the room and in the middle of us. 

I sent him a wave, smiling. 

"What is he doing here?" he asked, turning to Emma. 

I looked at her too. I'll let her decide what she wants to tell him. The truth. Or a lie about some work we have to do. Whatever she does, I'll back her up. I don't want to force her to admit something she doesn't want to yet. 

She looked at me like she didn't have a clue what to do or say. 

"Say what you want," I shrugged at her. 

She looked between Stefan and me. 

"Emma, what is he doing here?" 

"Why are you asking? It's none of your business," she huffed. 

"Is it for work?" he asked. 

"No. No, it's not for work," she replied. 

I bit back a smile and kept watching and listening intently. 

"Why else is he fucking here then?" Stefan asked, sounding angrier. 

"I called him. What about it?" She folded her arms across her chest. Why is she admitting to something she didn't even do? 

"No, you didn't," I replied. 

She sighed, shooting me a pointed look. 

"You either lie or you don't. You don't start with the truth and then turn it into a lie," I rolled my eyes. "I came here last night after picking her up from dinner with a client. We were at the same restaurant." 

"You picked her up last night, why are you here again?" he asked, glaring at me.

"I never left," I smirked. 

"You let him stay here?" he scoffed, looking at her. 

"Yeah. So?" She rolled her eyes at him. 

"And what does your HR policy say about that?" He turned to me, walking closer a little. 

"My HR policy says what I want it to say. I made it, I can remove it. It really doesn't matter," I replied, shaking my head slightly and pushing off the doorway, walking closer. 

"Office affairs are your thing then. Aren't they?" He laughed dryly, stepping closer. 

Emma looked at me. 

"Only with Ms. Bailey. Why? Any problem?" I lifted a brow at him. I glanced at Emma and then looked at the kitchen island, telling her to move. 

She can't stand in between. It's about to happen, it's about time anyway. She sighed and quietly moved, sitting on the counter. 

"Ms. Bailey?" Stefan scoffed. "The same Ms. Bailey that left you four years ago, right? The same Ms. Bailey that broke your pretty little heart?" 

"Stefan!" Emma snapped, hopping off the counter. 

I nodded, not removing my eyes from his. "The same Ms. Bailey. The one that still came back to me and will every time." 

He worked his jaw and I heard Emma curse under her breath, sitting back down on the counter. "She doesn't want a relationship."