9| Lunch

Chapter 9: Lunch (Emma's POV)

I was drafting up a new contract when Tristan came and stood at the connecting door. I looked up. "Yeah?" 

"It's lunch break," he stated. "Stop working." 

"Let me finish this contract." 

"Drafting a contract takes a while. When did you start?" 

I glanced at the time, typing non-stop. "Twenty minutes ago." 

"No, you can't postpone lunch for that long. Get up." 

"I have to finish this." 

"I'm your boss and I'm telling you, you don't. This is due tomorrow, you don't have to work on it today. Stand the fuck up." 

I blinked because I was surprised at the profanities and looked up at him. 

"You need to stop overworking yourself." 

"I'm not, I'm just working." 

"No, you're overworking. There's a huge difference. You'll burn out at this rate." 

"I have never burnt out," I said, shooting him a pointed look. 

"Yeah, but you will if you keep going. Just stand up." 

I rolled my eyes and stood up but crouched down and kept typing. 

"We're going to have lunch." 

"Do we have a meeting?" I asked, glancing at him. 

"No, we're just going out to lunch." 

I stopped typing and stood upright, looking at him. "You wanna take me to lunch, Mr. Reed?" I grinned, grabbing my phone. 

He tried not to laugh but he did crack a smile. This is the first time he's genuinely smiled at me since I saw him again. 

And I shouldn't admit it, I shouldn't even feel this way, but it feels great. Just for a second, it felt like he didn't hate me for what I did four years ago. Like he's forgiven me. 

But he probably hasn't, so snap out of it, Emma. 

"Where are we going?" I asked, following him out the door and to the elevator. 

"We're going to try the Korean restaurant you booked for Adam Willow. You still like sushi?" He turned to look at me, his hands tucked into his pockets. He remembers. 

I nodded. I bet he doesn't remember my favorites though. 

"California rolls and salmon nigiri, right?" 

Not smiling at a time like this is really hard for me. And it shouldn't be, I shouldn't be gushing over anything he says to me because I have a boyfriend now. "Mm-hmm," I nodded again. 

"See, I remember," he smirked as we reached the lobby and the elevator opened. 

"Why do you remember?" I quipped, lifting a brow at him as we walked to the door. 

"I just do. I think I remember everything about you," he said, gesturing for me to go first. 

I swiped my ID and walked through, waiting for him on the other side. 

"How much do you remember about me?" he asked, pulling out his car keys as we walked to the car. 

"Everything. I think," I mumbled, opening the door for myself and climbing in while he did the same. 

"What if I test you?" He started the car and I pulled my seatbelt on. 

"I don't know if I'll pass with flying colors but I think I will pass. You can test me. Only if I get to test you."