Let's talk about your eyes

Start from the beginning

"Yes. The exact one." I nodded as class started. During the entire class all I could think about was if Romeo could really be jealous of my date with someone else. He had acted in a way that said something else. I took his silence as indifference. Maybe I was missing something?

When I got home that day I found myself rummaging through my closet trying to find the perfect dress. I figured if I couldn't completely be there with Ashton, I, at least, owed him enough to look good while I wallowed in my sorrows.

At least I hadn't lost my dramatic flare.

In the end I settled on a crimson strapless dress that matched the lipstick I had stolen from mom's room just now. I was ready in what could be referred to as record time... in my book. My black stilettos clanked on the staircase as I made my way down and was greeted by a series of gasps from my family.

"What?" I frowned at them as they looked at each other, exchanging confused glances.

"Uh... dad told us about last night." Cathy began, "and now you're going out?"

"I'm not going out with Romeo if that's what you're thinking." I rolled my eyes then waved my hands as they continued to stare at me, "I'm not ten you know. I know what I'm doing. It's fine."

"We really hope that's true, kid." Mom had a somber look on her face, one I was seeing for the first time in a while. Romeo had really done a number on my family.

I nodded at them, grabbed my coat and walked out the door.

I was about to text Ashton when his car pulled up in front of the house, racing its way through the street. He lowered the glass window and smirked, "Get in, crazy."

"That's one way to greet your date." I rolled my eyes.

At least one thing was clear here: we were friends and this wasn't really a date. We were going out because he wanted to avoid, and I had only guessed this reason but couldn't help but think it was true, his friend in his part drunk part high state and I wanted to take my mind off a certain guy.

"You must have guys stumbling when you pass by." He eyed my exposed legs as I settled myself in the front seat.

When I found his eyes trained on my legs for a tad bit too long I snapped my fingers in front of his face, "Hey! Eyes on the road, perv."

He held up his hands in mock surrender, "I don't see why this guy wouldn't want to be with you."

"Yeah well it's a first. I just can't believe Romeo would go from a sweet-"

"Hold up! This guy's name is Romeo?" He carefully asked, his eyes held confusion and worry.

"Yes...?"

He shook his head, deciding the conversation was over and began speeding through the street towards the only five star this town had. He had told me last night that he had some friends who knew some friends who were related to the restaurant's owner so we had managed to get a reservation tonight instead of November 25th, which was around 6 months too far.

Throughout the ride he didn't pick up on the topic of my love interest. Instead he lowered the window, lit a cigarette and started smoking.

I mean... Why does no one take me seriously?

"What did we say about cigarettes?"

"That they're fucking great but the wicked witch of the west wouldn't let me have one. She, in fact, wasted a perfectly good pack because she couldn't stand the smell?" He calmly smiled. My eyes turned steely as I watched him blow out smoke into the car.