10. I can't resist you

"Ava?" I turned around in my seat in the cafe to see a familiar face walking over to me.

"Liz." I forced a smile on my face as she sat in the seat across from me.

"How long has it been? I miss seeing your face every day." Her usual smile brightened up her face in an almost scary way.

"It's been at least two years maybe more," I answered doing my best to keep the conversation going.

"Well, that's just way too long." She shook her head at me.

"What are you doing in town?" I asked, more curious about how long she was here than why.

"Oh, you should see the house I found. Beautiful foundations, five-bedroom, three and a half bath, and all newly renovated. That girl is a sight to see and I just couldn't pass up this type of opportunity, also it meant i could come and visit the college gang."

"Sounds like a nice place." I agreed.

"And not to brag but I'm looking at making some money on this one. Might even be able to take a nice trip like I always wanted to."

"You should," I nodded.

"Enough about me, how have you been? Got a new roommate better than me?" She laughed.

"I'm living in a small place on my own."

"Probably for the best, I doubt you'd ever find another roommate better than I was." She teased.

"More like I was scarred and never wanted to live with anyone ever again."

Liz laughed loudly, catching the attention of some of the people around us in the cafe.

"I forgot how funny you were." She said once her laughter calmed down. "How's everyone else? I haven't talked to anyone since college." She continued the conversation.

"Jade and Kieran just recently got married, they came back from their honeymoon a few days ago."

"I knew they'd end up staying together. They were really just the perfect couple. I should reach out and send them a fruit basket or something."

"Jade would love that," I nodded.

"We should all get together and catch up, I miss talking to you guys. How's Harlan? Still getting into trouble?"

I felt my whole body tense at the sound of his name coming from her mouth. Memories of college flashed through my brain. There was a reason I didn't speak to Liz after college. Harlan had been one of the main reasons.

"I don't talk to him much but he's basically the same old Harlan from college just a little bit older." I shrugged.

"You and Harlan don't talk? I find that hard to believe. You guys used to be like best friends, the three of us should all get together and have drinks. We could get the trio back together. Remember all the fun times we had going out to the bars and to parties?" Liz beamed.

"I'm pretty busy I don't know if I have time to go out and get drinks." I tried to say no but if I knew Liz and I did since I lived with her for three years, she was not one to take no for an answer.

"It's one night, you can clear it up for an old pal like me. Now is Harlan still at the same number, I want to call him and set something up for the three of us." She waved me off.

"I'll see what I can do." I smiled at her.

"Perfect, now I should get going. I got an open house tomorrow and I got to do some preparations still."

"Ok well, it was nice running into you," I said hoping she'd leave.

"I'll call you." She waved as she got up.

"Ok, I'll talk to you later then." I waved back and watched as she retreated out of the cafe.

The second she was out of sight I was reaching for my phone. It didn't take long to find the contact I was looking for. I didn't want to talk to them but I didn't feel like I had a choice.

"Hello babe, what did I do to earn the pleasure of your call?" His voice rang out through the phone.

"Liz is going to call you to get drinks and I need you to say no." I didn't bother to acknowledge anything he said.

"No hello? You hurt me, Ava." I could picture the stupid smirk on Harlan's face even though he wasn't in front of me.

"Will you be serious for once? I'm calling you for a reason," I sighed.

"There is always a reason, you never just call to chat anymore. All business no fun."

Talking to Harlan was almost like talking to a wall. You never really got anywhere.

"Harlan please, I don't have time for all this," I complained.

"Fine you win, no fun will be had. So why is Liz calling me?"

"She wants to get drinks with the two of us and I don't want to go but if you say yes then I have to."

"Why do I have to say no, if you don't want to go then I'll go by myself. It's been a while since I've seen Liz, how is she doing, still the same crazy self?" He asked.

My patience was dwindling. The thought of Harlan and Liz drinking just the two of them made my blood boil. This wouldn't happen again, I wouldn't go through this again.

"For me just please say no," I practically begged.

"Ok ok, you know I can't resist you. But on one condition."

I knew this was how it would go. Harlan never made anything simple.

"What do you want?" I groaned.

"Get drinks with me. Just the two of us."

"No." I shook my head even though he couldn't see me.

"Fine, then I'll go with Liz." He shot back.

"One drink, I sit I have one drink, and then I leave." I offered.

"Three drinks, we sit and we talk, have a nice time together like we used to." He negotiated.

I couldn't just hang out with Harlan especially not now. I was trying to move on, yes I wanted to know how he felt back then and now. But that didn't mean I had any plans to get with him or actually act on my current feelings.

"A couple of drinks but Jade and Kieran come with us," I said.

"I'll invite my sister and Kieran if that makes you happy." He sighed.

"Thank you." I felt nothing but relief.

"It's always a pleasure talking to you Ava." He said before saying our goodbyes and hanging up.

I felt much better knowing that Liz and Harlan would stay far away from each other and college wouldn't be repeated again.

I don't think my heart could handle that a second time.

A/n:

Sorry it's been so long.... I have been on vacation but today is my last day here and I'm finally heading home. It's a bittersweet feeling because I love spending time with my family but I can't wait to lay down in my own bed. I'm going to try to return to the twice a week upload schedule but if I can't maintain it I'll do weekly.

Anyways I hope you enjoyed this chapter and if you did don't forget to comment and vote!!

-Cora Leigh