Epilogue: Lean On Pt.2

I held his hand, as it squeezed mine profoundly, I wanted to leave and so did he. The doctor shooed the worried mothers out of the room as we waited for the news. I couldn't look at his face, something told me he was disappointed.

I didn't want to hear the words I had feared of hearing, I had lost the baby again. I knew Nolan would never say it out loud, but he would be disappointed in me. Disappointed and dissatisfied with the fact that I couldn't produce and create his dream, he wanted a family. And in this moment, I felt like I couldn't give it to him, like my body was against the idea.

"Do you want the bad news first or the good?", she said softly, studying the scans in front of her eyes. She looked at both Nolan and I's face, he said it for us.

"Bad news first", he said sternly as he gripped onto my hands, I didn't want to disappoint him. He was my world, my heart and me losing this baby again would be the nightmare that would ruin us. We couldn't survive another loss, I wanted to believe he and I we were the strongest. But after seeing us fall apart and his tendency to leave I couldn't bear to see it now all unfold beneath us.

"Your baby, is in a complicated position this could change as you go on with your pregnancy but its a delicate situation, I know you already have been taking it easy, but this time I mean it no stairs, light food, stay in bed", she said and I looked over at Nolan's face this was the bad news, this was all it was. After so long, this was good bad news, we had heard worse and I had a feeling we would make it. I knew to be careful, to follow Dr. Nolan's orders.

His hand tightened on mine and his kiss on the top of my head was earnest and kindly affectionate.

"And the good news is you're having... twins", she said delightfully. His face lit up as I watched his hands sweep me up in a loving hug. I had missed this, when we were excited about something.

I let myself swallow into his arms, I felt his breath against my neck brushing softly, it felt just so good to be wrapped in his arms. We had been so worried coming into this appointment, I could tell from last night. He would wake up every couple minutes and check if I was okay, he would recover me with the plush blanket or refill the water next to me. He was worried, I knew he was.

And as I was wrapped in his arms, smiling happily I promised myself I would follow the doctor's orders no stressful activities, no excess working, and I wouldn't put us at risk.

"I'll let you two have a moment, I'll invite them in, after a couple of minutes", she said excusing herself from the room. He broke away from me and I saw him rush towards her. Tears lightly falling from his eyes, he hugged her too, so overtaken by this moment. This beautiful moment that I would always remember.

"Thank you", he said lightly as he broke away from her and her eyes matched with mine as I thanked her too. She smiled happily, maybe this was her reason why she continued on with this sometimes painful job.

The door closed behind her, and all I could focus on was Nolan, he was still in shock that the babies were okay, but even the fact that we were having two.

"We're having twins", I said feeling each word as it slipped out of my mouth, the moment was overtaken with our collected feelings and our previous pain that had caused momentous pain in our relationship. Tears were spewing down my cheek as I hugged onto him, this moment we would always remember.

Growing up I had always wanted a sibling, a best friend that would never leave me, we would spend every moment together. Someone that would go through the tough spots with me and beside me. Mel and I, we went through the world alone, I had our mom up until the moment she passed. Mel hadn't had anyone, I knew it would be different if she had someone that would go through the struggles with her.