37: A Gut Feeling

The death of Daniel had sunken in around here, luckily no one had dropped lasagnas off or said "sorry he died" most people didn't know about my dad. But they knew we weren't very fond of each other.

The newspapers and talk shows were profiting off the news, in such a way. After exiting work I had been bombarded with paparazzi asking me foolish questions, that I tried for it to not get to me.

Daniel's lawyers had been over everyday considering we were the only beneficiaries. He had left us everything he owned, his homes, his money and his company.

He had left Nolan his company, and he left Melody a trust fund that she could access by her 17th birthday, and he left me his homes and half of his money. He never shared his money, he was always so greedy yet now I finally had something to add to our bank account that could make a real difference in our balance, considering Nolan made my weekly salary every 10 minutes.

I had no idea what to do with this newfound money. Except I knew I needed to check on someone who would be free. Massey, Daniel's secretary who had been shut in silence.

I dialed her number, something I had always kept for emergencies.

"Massey, are you free?", I asked a simple question, but the words meant so much more.

"We're leaving the country for the first time, we're traveling the world he wrote me a check for twenty five million dollars I'm free", she said, and for once in her life she sounded extremely happy.

"And you?", she said quietly.

"Happy and free, very happy and free", I said knowing that this would probably be our last phone call.

"I have to go, my husband wants to see the elephants, talk later", she said and I agreed to talk later. Yet I knew in the end that was the last conversation we would have. She was free, free of anything that reminded her of the guilt, the weight he placed on her and one of those things was me.

Ever since my rage of crying and laughter, Nolan has been keeping an even closer eye on me than normal. He was even nervous leaving me alone, for Avery's wedding which was coming in a short amount of days.

She was like a maniac, doing things at all hours and running on coffee. Miss Celine had been hired back, but Avery had promised to be more dedicated and took on more work. I had never heard her complain so much.

For Caroline she had been shadowing Alison and had gotten the job, and Caroline had absolutely loved it from what I heard.

Nolan on the other hand, was testing out new assistants considering most of them didn't value or care that he was married, happily married.

His business was booming vastly, but that meant that he came back home later and later each night.

Melody and I normally spent the night by the couch as I worked on the magazine and she did her homework, and sometimes if Avery could sit still for a couple of minutes she would join us. Mel had been handling Daniel's death better than I had, and she was handling Zeke's absence better than I ever would've.

They had decided to break up considering they were far from each other, in different circumstances.

"Pass the noodles", she said as we both sat by the fire working, the difference was what we were working on. I passed her the noodles, quickly not looking up from my screen.

Avery was running through every last detail of her wedding making sure everything was perfect, for it took place in exactly two days.

I on the other hand, was working on editing the last issue of our magazine column, Paris had demanded that I stay. But they "supposedly" only had a job leftover in PR. So Paris and I now work in the PR sector. She offered to help me look for jobs and I graciously accepted.