"Quite a few families in Asayama, yes. I think two minor houses went to Gana. Very irrelevant. What of Gira?"

"The Rui and the Fan come to mind. But from what I hear, both families are dealing with very illegal businesses now. Cass says whoever her assassin was is very secretive. I doubt it's either one of them, especially since they both loathe Gana. Most likely someone who does have business there, though."

"Bai Jinshuang?"

"The one who owns Bai and Guo? Unlikely. He despises criminal business. His company is strangely clean and very, very legal. Extremely rare and very commendable."

"Anyone linked to the Phikkais?"

Laurence gave it some thought before shaking his head. "Sorry, can't remember. I'll check when we head to Borewood. Where are we going now, anyways?"

"I was thinking Newridge. See if there's anything about a new Saian noble in town. See if we can narrow down the list before we head to the Vallerings' to know who to watch out for."

"Clever," Laurence nodded in approval. "I'll join you, then. I'm starving. Could use a good meal."

"If you want a good meal, go to Borewood. Georgie can cook something up for you. Newridge's food is barely tolerable."

"I'm not as picky as you, Dalton. Food is food. It doesn't matter how good it tastes. I'm chomping it down either way."

"Did I mention that you're a pig, Dumont?" Marcus asked kindly, his smile tight.

Laurence clasped him on the shoulder. "I know, my friend, I know."

"SO WHAT HAVE YOU been up to, Little Sable?"

Everyone else was out. Only Cadieux was left. Cadieux, who sat on the armchair he had dragged in yesterday when Marcus decided to watch over her while she slept. Cass met Cadieux's eyes blankly.

"The usual. Murder, espionage, almost getting killed. The usual, the usual."

"Just as I taught you." A sigh. "You need to be more careful, Cassalyn. Gira's dangerous and you know it. You still went, alone, without telling a single soul except your sister, who as we both know is as attracted to dangerous places as you are. You're going to get yourself killed someday."

"I'm honestly just surprised it hasn't happened yet," Cass admitted. "But I like it. In a year or two I won't be able to escape my family's wrath anymore, and they'll manage to drag me screaming and kicking to the altar for some advantageous match," not that she'd be letting that happen, "most likely whichever husband I'm bound to won't appreciate his wife running halfway across the world dealing in spies and murderers. The most I could be is a societal informant, and even then I'm not sure. I'll need to wed an Arecian husband for that. A Saian would not take kindly to me continuing my work here."

"So wed an Arecian husband."

Cass casted him a dirty look. "Don't you dare start what I think you're going on, Cadieux."

"Do you know, Marcus never told us what happened six years ago."

She remained silent, watching him warily, daring him to continue. He did. "But I have my suspicions. I'm not going to report you. You didn't do any major damage, and I think most of us expected it anyways. There's always the risk with recruiting foreigners."

"Marcus didn't."

"He felt betrayed."

"His problem."