10

╰┈➤ ❝ S H E ' S  B R O K E N ❞

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

I've been on the low

I've been taking my time

I feel like I'm out of my mind

[1-800-273-8255 – Logic, Alessia Cara + Khalid]

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

< Isabel >

November bled into December. Temperatures dropped to single digits. The autumnal colours vanished and our surroundings were suddenly dull and monotone. Warming charms were being cast frequently; the courtyards emptied as people preferred the warmth of their common rooms and the Great Hall over the coldness of the winter.

And me? My mental state has been dropping along with the temperature outside. It's been getting worse. It was a struggle to get out of bed in the mornings. I felt lonely without my late friends, even with the Slytherins. I felt so alone, especially from being segregated by my own house. I kept myself to myself, not wanting to pester Theo or Draco any further. I hadn't left my room in a couple of days with the excuse that I was ill. I was only relieved that they believed me. I hardly got any sleep anymore; my own thoughts kept me up. And if I did get even an ounce of sleep, they were plagued with nightmares that got progressively worse. Waking up sweating and crying became the new normal for me every night.

I was broken out of my thoughts by a gentle knock at the door. I unlocked the door with my wand and mustered up the best smile I could.

To my surprise, Hermione walked in.

"Isabel! Happy birthday!" She engulfed me in a hug which I gladly welcomed.

So it was my birthday? I had fully lost track of the days.

"Oh, erm thanks!"

"Here's your present," she said, handing me a white wrapped parcel with gold ribbons.

Hermione had brought me two Muggle books to add to my growing collection. I stroked the spines – one reading 'Flawed by Cecelia Ahern' and the other 'Perfect by Cecelia Ahern'.

"It's a duology," Hermione pointed out, "I know how much you enjoy Muggle books so here's some more."

"Thank you, 'Mione," I said hugging her.

"Have you got anything planned?" she asked.

I shook my head, putting the books to the side.

"I'm planning on just laying in bed all day," I said, "my birthday never really excites me."

"You do you, hun," she said, "I'll see you later yeah? I promised Ginny I'd meet her at Hogsmeade... you sure you don't want to come with?"

"I'm sure... I'll probably spend the day with Theo or something," I lied.

"Okay, happy birthday again, Iz," she said.

She hugged me once again before leaving my room, closing the door behind her. And just like that, I was alone with my thoughts once again.

I glanced outside and guessed that breakfast will be over by now. People would probably be getting ready to go to Hogsmeade. I remembered Theo suggesting we all go to the Three Broomsticks for my birthday. At first, I happily accepted but now I wasn't so sure. I couldn't bring myself to fake it again; just pretend that I'm happy and okay when I wasn't.