1

╰┈➤ ❝ I  J U S T   W A N T   T H E M   B A C K ❞

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

Driving a nightmare I can't escape from

Helplessly praying, the light isn't fading

[Hold On - Chord Overstreet]

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

< Isabel >

I leant my head against the cold window watching the landscape run past as the train shunted down the rails. I could hear the faint laughter and chatter of my school mates seemingly happy to be going back with no dangers. But I couldn't relate. It felt weird going back all alone. Since we met on the train in first year, Natalie and I always sat together at the start of every year without fail. We were sometimes joined by Cedric and his friends in the middle of the journey. And now that tradition was broken; never to happen again. Why? Because I'd never be able to see them again.

I looked down at my fingers fiddling with each other on my lap when suddenly, they turned blood red and I could hear her last words as she lay shaking in my arms.

"I love you. Keep going for me" before her eyes closed. Forever.

It's been 5 months since she left me, but the pain was still fresh for me. She was one of my only friends that I actually had. And I missed her more than ever. Of course, there was also Cedric who treated me as the sister he never had. And he was cruelly taken away from me years prior.

My heart wrenched in grief. My eyes began to water but I kept the tears in. I was so lost in my own head that I didn't hear the door to my compartment opening and someone sitting down next to me. They wrapped their arms around me making me jump away from them.

"It's okay Iz, it's just me." Theodore. He opened his arms for me and I gladly accepted the hug, having not felt physical contact in months.

< Theodore >

I bade the boys farewell and exited the compartment to find Isabel. I hadn't seen her since the war which I feel guilty for even though I know she needed space to grieve.

I peeked into sections trying to spot a brunette, petite girl with no luck. I was about to go back to the Slytherin part of the train when I heard movements coming from up ahead. These compartments were the ones that hardly anyone occupied because of the stench of the coal, yet someone was here now. I followed the very subtle sounds and slid open the heavy door to see my best friend sitting alone and staring into space, her hands wrapped around her knees. She didn't seem to acknowledge my presence and so jumped when I attempted to wrap my arms around her shoulder. A look of recognition flashed her eyes and she shuffled back into my arms. I held her tightly against me, rubbing her back.

"It's okay Iz, it's just me."

After a couple minutes, she sighed heavily. I raked my fingers through her hair, planting a soft kiss on her head.

"Theo?" she croaked.

"Hmm?"

"I miss Nat... and Ced. I just want them back."

"I know Iz, but they're in a better place now. They'll always be watching over you so make them proud, okay?"

She nodded slowly.

"You've still got me. Always. I'm never leaving you."

She gave me a small smile before resting her head on my lap and closing her eyes. It wasn't long before I felt her body relax against me as she fell into a peaceful slumber.

There was a gentle knock at the door, and I looked up to see Draco Malfoy standing there. I gave him a nod to come in and he quietly slid the door open and closed and took a seat across from Iz and I. His eyes flickered to a sleeping Isabel and then back to me again, raising his eyebrows in curiosity.

"It's not what you think, Malfoy. She's just a friend...like a little sister to me," I assured him.

"I know her. Montgomery, right? She used to sit at meetings. Never uttered a word even when all she heard were taunts towards her."

He breathed heavily and gazed out the window.

"She's been through a lot, you know. After what happened with Cedric, her parents and then losing Natalie too. She thinks she's so good at hiding her emotions, but I know her, and I know that she's still hurting." I looked down at her sadly, moving a strand of hair that had fallen over her face.

I didn't get any response as Draco got lost in his own thoughts and memories. I know it hadn't been easy on him either. But he had his own mother and friends on his side whilst Isabel had lost everything she held dear to her.

Isabel nuzzled into my hand that was laying next to her head. I smiled down at her. I don't know how her summer went in that desolate manor of hers. I tried to visit her but every time I did, she turned me down, saying that she was 'clearing up and renovating'. I know that she also freed all of her house elves, so she really did spend six weeks all alone and of course, I felt so guilty.

It was at that moment that I vowed to myself to never leave her alone if I could help it. She needed me more than ever now.

What kind of a brother would I be if I did?

----------

Author's note:

And that's the first chapter! I know it's quite short but not all the chapters will be this short, I promise.

At first, I thought about leaving an author's note at the end of every chapter but I know how annoying that would be so I'm keeping it to a minimum and only including them if I feel like I need to. You can happily enjoy your reading with any interruptions 😂

Let me know what your first impressions are and hope you enjoy the rest of the story!