Chapter 37

Wang Yibo's POV

Soon the four of us sat on a bench to rest and I was really glad to see the happy looks on their faces, "whoo! I haven't been on a roller coaster in ages," Haoxuan spread his arms, sighing with content.

"It feels so good to enjoy something like this after so long," Zhan placed his hand on mine, unconsciously as he talked.

"it makes you feel young again, doesn't it?" I smiled at Lily, "it sure does! But I wish there was something we could enjoy together." We looked around to find a ride we could all enjoy.

"Aha! What about the haunted house?" Lily pointed to a scary-looking haunted mansion, "oh! I've always wanted to go in one! What do you think?" I turned my head towards Zhan and Haoxuan.

Zhan nodded, "sure I don't mind." But Haoxuan on the other hand, he suddenly turned pale, "uhm . . . You okay there, Haoxuan?" He jumped when I tapped his shoulder, "y-yeah, of course, I am!"

"Why is your voice so high?" Zhan frowned as he said so, "it's just loud here, that's all!"

"Haha~ Don't tell me you're actually scared to go in there." Lily nudged Haoxuan playfully, "I-I'm not scared of a fake mansion full of people in costumes!"

Lily clapped in her hands, "great! You know let's take photo's with the mascots!"

I smiled at her excitement as I heard Haoxuan mumble under his breath "wheew . . . My life is spared today . . ."

Throughout the entire time, I couldn't stop smiling and laughing, we explored the park in awe and took so many photos with the park mascots

***

"That booth game cheated me!" Zhan laughed, "Haoxuan, you dart nearly hit the seller."

Haoxuan looked sideways, pouting, "well, he should've stood somewhere else!" Lily laughed, "I feel like you would have hit him anyway."

I smiled, "it's because he called you a kid, isn't it?" Haoxuan let out a deep sigh, "okay, yeah, maybe . . ." As we continued sightseeing, I was suddenly frozen on spot.

I looked at the clock and realize the sun wasn't high up anymore . . .

I don't have much time left . . .

"You okay, Yibo?" Lily glanced at me as I shrugged, "nothing, just checking the time." Her eyes moved to the clock, and I could see her happy glow dim for a second.

"Hey, guys! There's somewhere I want to go!" Lily aimed her warm, kind smile my way, those eyes definitely were planning something.

Lily took us to a house of mirrors, Haoxuan and Zhan started making fun of each other's reflection, I tried to match their excitement, but seeing my reflection made me feel . . . Sad.

Just a few hours left, huh . . . ?

"Hey, do you mind if I borrow you for a moment?"

"Sure, is everything okay? Lily?" It was the first time I had seen Lily looking so nervous, without saying another word, Lily lead me even deeper into the mirror house.

"H-Hold on, where are you taking me, Lily?" I didn't need her explanation because soon enough we entered a familiar landscape.

We were back in the desolated environment where we first met, I did my best to remain calm despite the rising pain inside me, "I thought I still had a few more hours, I haven't said goodbye yet."

She turned to me, "sorry to bring you here, but I think it's time I tell you the truth . . ."

Slowly I nodded, "I see, you always did look like you were keeping a big secret."

"And I was, to better explain the story, let's go on a little journey." Lily gave me a small smile before snapping her fingers.

Our surrounding suddenly changed, we're standing in an apartment I've never seen before.

"You've always wondered why I became your guardian angel, right? You and I are very similar."

"It's because we were both abandoned at an orphanage?" She nodded, "correct, and you lived a harsh life throughout your childhood."

I frowned, carefully speaking up, "are we similar on that part too." Lily smiled sadly as we watched someone enter the apartment, but she looked so different from the Lily I knew.

This Lily looked so sad . . . And broken, the other Lily sits on the sofa, taking a bottle from her pocket, "w-what's going on . . . ?"

My heart thumps loudly in my ears as I watched her slowly swallow it all at once, "I was in a very dark place and I couldn't see any other way out . . ." Lily covered my eyes before I could see the end of it.

"We walked the same path, but have very different endings."

"Lily . . . I . . ." I couldn't form a sentence, choking on my tears.

"Shh . . . You don't have to cry for me . . ." Lily turned around to dry my tears, but I cried even harder when I saw her broken smile, "h-how did you became a Grim Reaper . . . ?"

"I thought willingly standing at death's door would release me from my pain, but I was wrong. As a punishment, I became a Grim reaper and I was forced to lead others to the afterlife. . . I regret my actions, but it's far too late. The darkness in my heart became much worse after watching countless people die each day, but one day, I passed by a park."

We're standing in another familiar environment.

A lone boy sat on a swing, crying his heart out behind his hands, "once upon a time, I passed by a park and saw a boy crying, I've seen many people cry before, but this one . . . It was familiar to me, so broken and lonely."

"Why does this all seem familiar . . . ?" Lily only replies with a mysterious smile, not answering my question, "I took an interest and watched over him for quite some time." Lily tries to touch the boy, but his hand went right through him.

"But there's only so much a Grim Reaper could do, I could only watch over him silently, hoping he didn't make the same mistake I did, but fate is cruel. They said you were my next target." My heart dropped to the ground when I realized the boy was ME!

"W-What . . . ? H-How . . . ? I don't understand?"

"I'm sorry, Yibo, but I lied to you. You really were meant to die on the night of that accident . . ."

Word count: 1124 words