Chapter 27

Wang Yibo's POV

After a few tries, it finally opened wide and Zhan's unconscious form came wide into view, "Zhan! Hey! You need to get up!" I tapped on Zhan's cheek gently, but there was no response.

"Come on, Zhan! Don't give up on us yet!" Zhan's eyes opened slowly after a good shake, he took his time to look around.

"L-Lily . . . YIBO!?"

"Whew . . . Don't scare us like that, buddy."

"W-Where am I . . . ?" He tried to move his head but only winched in pain, so I spoke up, "take it easy there, you just had a bad crash."

"How did I even . . . ?" Lily broke him off, "we'll explain everything later, right now,  we need to get you out."

"Can you try to keep your eyes open?" He nodded swiftly, "y-yeah, I'll try . . ."

"Damn it!" Hearing Lily's swearing made me nervous, "that doesn't sound good." She shook her head, "not really, his legs are stuck under all of this."

"WHAT! Zhan, do you feel any pain in your legs?" He shook his head, "n-no, but I still can't move."

"You two wait here, let me go find something hoist the debris away."

"I can help you, Lily!" She shook her head, "no, you need to stay here and make sure Zhan remains conscious, I'm afraid if he passes out he really won't wake up again." I gulped nervously, nodding a few times." 

"Just keep talking to him until I get back." Lily started looking around the area, I turned to fully pay attention to Zhan, but he already looks drowsy.

"N-No, no! Don't you fall asleep again!" I tapped on his face a little harder until his eyes are open, "Zhan, I really need you to stay awake until help arrives, I know you're way stronger than this." Zhan smiles weakly, letting out a breathy chuckle.

"Come on . . . You know I am not . . . I can't even stand against my own mother, I'm the weakest person alive."

I ruffled a hand through my hair, "will you stop saying such nonsense! You need to save your energy . . ." I gently patted his back when he started coughing from the smoke, "geez! I told you to take it easy!" He shook his head.

"Why are you still here, Yibo?" I blinked at him a few times, "what do you mean . . . ?"

"You're always a mystery to me, I can never truly figure you out . . ."

"What's there to figure out? I'm just ordinary." He shook his head a little, and his eyes, they were so warm and gentle, "you're anything except that, and I hope . . ." Zhan started coughing again, but this time it wracks his whole body, I felt a rising panic in my throat.

"Just focus on staying alive, will you!" Even though my tone was harsh, Zhan still smiles weakly, I could see the deep sadness in his eyes.

"You should just leave me here, I don't mind dying right now . . ." Hearing those words felt like a hard slap in the face, I couldn't help but feel angry at his words.

I clung onto his arm tightly, feeling my entire body shake, "how dare you say that . . ."

"Hmm . . . ?" I looked up at him, angry tears clouding my vision, "how dare you to say those words when you have people that care so much for you! You want to throw away your life over one person who doesn't see you?! Does it mean nothing that we're doing our best to save you! Will you open your eyes and finally see the real person that truly cares for you no matter what!"

The tears wouldn't stop flowing, but I didn't care anymore, I really needed him to wake up, "you life is yours, Zhan, don't waste it over a person that doesn't value you, Hoaxuan and Lily treasure you so much, and I treasure you too . . ." I clung onto his hand, intertwining our pinkies together, "so please . . . Don't say goodbye just yet, I want all of us to go home together, c-can we promise on that?"

The look of shock is evident on Zhan's face, I felt his thumb brushing my tears away, he caressed my cheek so gently that it made me cry even more, "this is what I mean when I say you're a mystery to me, you surprise me every time, Yibo, I can never expect what's going to come out from your lips." I was stunned into silence by his words.

"I really don't get you, you should hate me right now, especially after the things I said to you." His eyes were filled with so much regret that I found it hard to breathe, I shook my head, smiling through my tears.

"I can't help myself being a concerned friend." Zhan chuckled, wrapping his pinky around mine even tighter, "and you're very good at it, even though I don't deserve it." I lifted his chin, so our eyes meet, "you may be my boss . . . And a scary one sometimes, but you can never stop me from caring about you."

"As a boss, or as a friend?" I laughed a little at his raised eyebrow, "can't I have both?"

"Hahaha~ Stubborn boy." His eyes softened, I couldn't tell what it was, but it was making my heart pound like crazy, "I want to apologize to you," he said, his gave inches closer, caressing the side of my face so gently.

"You'll have all the time in the world for that later if you are alive." Zhan smiled warmly, leaning his forehead against mine, I shut my eyes, relishing this rare moment between us.

"Then I will do my best for you . . ." Zhan whispered.

"Hey! I finally found a thick enough branch." Lilyś voice broke our little moment, I pushed back a blush when she approached with a wink.

"Great! Let's get to work!" the next hour was a blur as we worked to get Zhan out of the car safely, the firefighter made sure the car wouldn't catch on fire while paramedics carried Zhan up the hill to be rushed to a hospital.

I watched with worry as Zhan was placed in an ambulance, "are any of you a relative? Only one person can get in."

"Yibo lives with him." Lily nudged me to the front, "w-wait a minute."

"Alright, get in, we might need to ask some questions if he has any medical conditions," the pracademic said as I hesitate to get in, sitting next to the stretcher.

Haoxuan and Lily probably saw how nervous I was, "don't worry, we'll right behind you." And I nodded at Haoxuan's words.

The ambulance door closed and we speed away to the hospital, the pracademic asked me a few simple questions.

"He seems stable now, but we can only get a full report at the hospital." I nod silently, holding onto Zhan's hand tightly, Zhan watched me drowsily.

"Thank . . . You . . ." My heart stopped at his little whisper before he fell asleep completely, I could feel tears forming again as I gently caress his hair.

"You can rest now, Zhan, you deserve that much . . ." And I kept holding onto his hand, truly relieved we survived that together 

Word count: 1347 words

***

Unexpected that I wrote this so quickly, I have awful headache, so I leave now, I hope you guys were happy with the three updates since I didn't want you all to wait so long for that one update again, I hope I could make up for not updating so long, sorry.

Tonight I'll be updating follow the light, tomorrow, start today, and next week new updates on in between love and death and whispers of our past, sorry for the delay~

Hope you liked the chapter!