Act 11

The sun beat down on the savannah. The water from the previous storm began to evaporate. The winds began to change directions, pushing the newly formed clouds to the south, away from the savannah, a sign of things to come. But for now, food and water were plentiful. The watering hole was filled to the brim. Animals of all shapes and sizes gathered around it, including the Black beaks.

"Alright, does everybody remember what we have to do?" Vall asked.

"For the last time Vall, we know! We have to keep away from the big animals, so we don't get trampled while you stay up in the tree and keep lookout for any predators," Zenith sighed.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I just wanted to make sure that everyone remembered what to do."

The rest of the Black beaks flew down from the trees and landed on the opposite side of the watering hole. The Black beaks bent their bodies over the water and ever so slightly dipped their beaks into it. Then with a quick upward swipe of their heads, the water was quickly scooped up and swallowed. This behaviour made it easy for Vall to identify the Black beaks within the large mass of bodies. Everything from Giant striders to Spring-legged gazelles were here.

But not all species were happy to see this large congregation. Some of the last amphibians on the whole of planet Earth lived in these watering holes. Amongst them were the last true frogs: a species known as the Drought frog. It still looked very much like its ancestors. It had the same strong back legs, wide mouth, long tongue, and large bulging eyes. But this frog had a trick up its sleeve. It had evolved to be able to put itself in suspended animation. It would burrow to the bottom of the lake or pond it lived in and then, essentially, seemingly die. But when the time would be right once again, this real-life zombie would wake up and crawl out of its grave to continue its life as if nothing had happened. Although many frogs of the modern age did this, this species could keep itself in this state for over five years. This one ability was what had saved this species from complete extinction.

The Drought frog wasn't the only amphibious animal which had found a way to survive the oncoming dry season. A species of fish known as the Wedge-head mud skipper had discovered a radically new way of persisting. This species of mud skipper cocooned itself in mud by rolling around on the riverbed while its skin began to collect the wet soil. They kept doing this until they eventually completely encased themselves in mud like a caterpillar does with its cocoon. When the dry season arrived, this shell hardened, becoming as dry as the land around it. But this was only from the outside. On the inside, the Wedge-head mud skipper was surrounded by water, usually enough to sustain it through the dry season.

Unfortunately for these specialists, they were now finding their habitat over-run by these animals, the biggest danger not being predators, but rather being accidentally stepped on. This was a problem for them, but their complaints went unnoticed by the giants. As the animals kept drinking, Vall noticed something on the horizon. The silhouettes started out small but as they came closer, he could make out some of the details. Then he realized what it was, an event that the Black beaks always welcomed: Boltoccor ravens. They only knew their names thanks to the fact that this tribe of ravens had the uncanny ability to mimic other species thus learning their language. Vall quickly let out a few whooping noises alerting the other Black beaks. Quickly they all flew back into the trees.

"What? What is it Vall? Where's the danger?" Zenith asked frantically looking back and forth.

"No, there's no danger. Look!" Vall replied pointing towards the oncoming ravens. The Black beaks then realized what Vall was pointing at, and soon they joined in with their own whoops. The ravens shortly arrived and landed next to the Black beaks.

The two species looked nearly identical despite having evolved on two different evolutionary paths. One of the differences the Black beaks had with the Boltoccors was coloration. Descendent of the white-necked raven, the Boltoccor ravens had a completely white head on top of a black body, their beaks were slightly larger and broader, but the most distinguishing feature was their size. While the Black beak's maximum height usually extended to two and a half meters, the Boltoccor ravens were dwarfed by them at only one meter. Despite the size difference, they still got along.

The two species looked at each other for a bit before the leader of the Boltoccors spoke up.

"Hello Black beaks. I see that we meet once again. I must say it has been quite some time since our last encounter."

"I'm sorry but I don't believe we have met," Vall said.

"My apologies. My name is Thunder Wing. And you are?"

"I'm Vall."

"Well it is nice to meet you Vall. I must say this is the first time I have seen an albino such as yourself reach this age."

"Hey! What's that supposed to mean?" Zenith squawked from another branch. "Does he mean to insult our leader?" Some of the Black beaks started to get agitated at this.

"No, no, no. That is not what I meant. I meant that this is the oldest albino Black beak I have ever seen. Most of the time, albinos end up being the first to die, though I do not mean any offense to you Vall."

"It's okay."

"So, you are a leader. I must say you seem a little bit young."

"Oh, it's only temporary. I'm only filling in until our proper leader can return."

"Oh? What has happened to him?"

"An... an accident... nothing too bad. We're pretty sure he will be good to come back soon."

"Well, that is a little bit of a shame, but I assume that it is important for a leader to have a second-in-command."

"Second-in-command? We only call them seconds."

"Well then I assume that it is one of the things are cultures do differently. Either way I must ask if you could guide us back to your home."

"Why?"

"You probably know or at least have heard that the Boltoccors are nomads. This means we never stay in one place for too long. We are always moving, following the herds."

"Then I'm sorry but you're a bit early. The herds haven't arrived yet."

"Oh no, we are aware of that. We are a scouting party. Our leader has sent us ahead to set up the traps. Like that when the herds do arrive, we will be ready. I assume that the Black beaks will help?"

"I... hum... well... I... (sigh)... I'm not going to lie. I don't know what you are talking about. I don't remember that much from last year. I was too young."

"I see. If you would guide us back to the Black beaks' cave, I'm sure that we will be able to explain."

"Okay," Vall replied. He looked back at the other Black beaks. Some seemed a bit suspicious, but when he looked at the oldest hunters, he could see that they trusted the Boltoccor ravens. That's when he knew that he too could trust them. "Okay, I will lead you back to our home."

"Many thanks Vall," Thunder Wing thanked Vall, bowing his head to him. And so, the two species flew off back to the cave.

Meanwhile, thousands of kilometers away, where the dry season had just begun, the herds began their march. And not too far behind them, the Boltoccor ravens followed. They leapt off the trees, spread their wings and flew off after them. The leader, bigger and stronger than the rest, thought to himself, "I hope Thunder Wing arrived in time."