!Best Friend! Levi X !Dead! Reader (AU)

Start from the beginning

"Well, I hope Monet doesn't increase your heart rate too much from all the excitement." The comment makes (f/n) laugh. "Yeah, we don't want it to explode." Monet lifts his head a little to adjust, getting comfortable again on top of (f/n)'s legs. "And you're just a big sweetie pie!" She smiles, rubbing his belly. Before either of them knew it, their hour had been up and Levi had to take Monet to see another patient. "Bye, Levi! It was fun getting to know you and thanks again for bringing Monet!" The girl smiles, feeling like this was her first normal day in years. "Sure, we'll be back soon." The man nods, hooking the dog on the leash again before leaving. When the both of them left, reality sunk back in for her.

This had gone on for weeks, Levi would bring Monet to (f/n)'s hospital room for therapy sessions to lift her spirits again. She had opened up to Levi that although she is used to her illness and it's all she knows, life still sucked. She couldn't do normal things or live a normal life. Surgeries were just for postponing death, keeping her alive for a little while longer. In a way, it seemed pointless to stick around and waste so much of her parents money when ultimately in the end, it would result in a funeral. But she would have to keep on smiling.

As Levi came, he became less and less anxious about being around her. He was only used to little kids who were just about to go through treatments or just came out of them. (F/n) was the first older person he visited. She was different from everyone else. She knew life. She understood the reality that she was not going to get the happy ending like everyone else around her. That was out of her control. Eventually, her parents noticed how much of an impact Levi's presence had on her, deciding it would be beneficial to have him visit everyday. Her clock was ticking and they wanted to make the most of it.

Levi would bring a dessert from a bakery down the street and they would sit and enjoy them, with Monet, of course, talking about whatever was on their mind. Truly, they both looked forward to seeing each other. (F/n) finally had someone other than hospital staff and her parents to talk and connect to. Levi was her breath of fresh air. Their hourly therapy sessions were enough to make her forget her struggles and misfortune for just a little bit. It was better than nothing.

"Another open heart surgery?" (F/n) mumbled one night before her parents were to leave. "I know you hate the sound of it. This one shouldn't be too bad, though." Her mother kissed her forehead, saying goodnight. (F/n) went along with it, there was no point in feeling sour over it. It just meant more time sitting in bed, watching tv. Same old, same old. (F/n) immediately told Levi about the next surgery, explaining all she knew about it. Levi always felt scared for her, not understanding how someone could endure so much physical trauma back to back but (f/n) was the definition of a warrior. He looked up to her and her no-fear state of mind.

The night before her surgery, she had texted him almost all night long, unable to sleep. She was craving those desserts he would bring but she had to be fasting. She was going to miss him tomorrow, considering her surgery would be in the early afternoon around the time he usually comes. Levi sent her pictures of Monet in the meantime to cheer her up and put her mind at ease. She wasn't supposed to be scared. Her whole life, she wasn't scared of a little surgery. Knowing Levi now, was most likely the cause of her hesitance.

The morning of, he texted her words of encouragement along with more pictures of Monet. He knew this surgery would be serious and he did not want (f/n) to feel an ounce of insecurity. He promised they would get cookies or macarons as soon as they could, when it was okay for her to eat, and Monet would be there too to lick away her boo-boos. The texts made her smile, feeling so lucky to have a friend like Levi. Being stuck in a hospital meant being isolated from society. Her old school friends wanted nothing to do with her from the amount of times she would have to cancel and back out of plans they made due to her illness. All she wanted to do was join in their activities but they always restricted her in some way. Levi was the first person to make her feel welcomed. Surgery time eventually came and (f/n) sent Levi one last text before she would have to go under.

'Can't wait to see you guys tomorrow! Can we watch the next episode then?'

Levi came the next day, holding a paper bag of treats and goodies for (f/n)'s recovery. A small bouquet of balloons and flowers, bag full of chocolates and pastries. Monet walked alongside his owner, used to their routine and guiding Levi straight to (f/n)'s room as soon as they stepped off the elevator on the second floor. Her door was wide open and inside was dark, the window's blinds shut. It was cold and empty. Levi stood there a bit confused at the situation, turning around to find someone. "Excuse me, did (f/n) (l/n) change rooms?" The man asks, expecting her to be in a recovery suite. "I'm sorry sir, I'm afraid they forgot to cancel your appointment." The short female nurse, Reiss on her name badge, spoke. "What do you mean?" Levi tilted his head to the side, adjusting the multiple items in his hands. "I'll page her nurse to inform you." Is all the woman says, returning to a desk.

Levi sat outside her room with Monet, waiting for nurse Zoë to arrive with an answer. Monet laid down on the cold, white floor, lifting his head when he heard someone approaching. "Mr. Ackerman," The nurse spoke, standing in front of him. Levi stood up as well, setting (f/n)'s gifts down on the seats. "I'm sorry we forgot to cancel your appointments, but I'm glad you're here." Levi stayed quiet, wanting to know why he wasn't booked. "Unfortunately, (f/n)'s surgery yesterday was unsuccessful. Our doctors did everything they could, as this was an invasive operation. We lost her about three hours in. I'm so sorry, Mr. Ackerman." Levi had never felt such a way before upon hearing bad news. Hearing that the only person he truly connected with was gone was beyond his comprehension. She was just here, talking to him, then taken away in a blink.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

I hope you guys are enjoying these one-shots! I have a lot of fun writing them, I missed writing for this fandom sm and I'm grateful to be doing it again!

Ily guys, have an awesome day or night <3

~AlpineBreadStick