It Sometimes Gets A Little Lonely

Start from the beginning

procrastinity : Yes, I am. In fact, I feel super demotivated. I notice that my first ever chapter has more readers, all telling me about how hyped they are about the book - and I don't see them around anymore.

I usually focus on completing the books then. Because a lot of readers on literally every writing platform prefer reading books that have been completed. Usually, I get a lot of readers after I have completed a book. There will be a few, amazing ones, who will stick around till the end (while you're updating) and honestly, I'm grateful to have even those few. That's what keeps me motivated - and also the fact that I am a stubborn old mule who will see to it that I complete a book, regardless of the fact that it has readers or not.

persenthe : Oh yes, I do become greatly discouraged if there aren't any readers. If I've written a poem I am particularly proud of, or a chapter that I put a lot of effort in, I want recognition! It's only natural as an artist to want to be noticed for what you love doing. You want to share with the world that you are a creator, a person deeply in love with making beautiful things. I know there are some people though who would rather not garner attention to themselves which is perfectly valid! The spotlight wasn't made for everyone to feel comfortable in, but you still want your work to be seen. It takes a lot of practice to develop a mindset that, "no matter how people receive this, I won't ever give up loving it and I won't stop writing". It will be hard at first because writing bares a part of your soul and you want to be welcomed with open arms. I usually don't check my notifications for a couple of days after I update so that I don't obsess over any comments or votes I receive.

dimpletales : My account is a relatively small account so naturally I do not expect much engagement. With my limited circle of friends and people the reach is small too, so naturally, the amount of readers I'd get will be less too. Sometimes, it's really discouraging yes - especially when I don't get comments; I live for those, literally - but there is nothing you can do about it except hope for the best and wait. Eventiy someone will pick up your book, and though it sounds tiring, waiting is all you can do. While you wait, though, you can work on the areas of the book that you feel are lacking. For example, you can change the cover, reword/rearrange the description to make it more interesting. People actually do judge books by its covers - at first anyway - so I think having a good cover and description will help with that.

teaa_mi : Since I wrote for myself from the beginning, I never faced that type of discouragement.

Even now, as the numbers are growing every day, which I'll frankly never get used to because I just can't wrap that fact around my head, I don't give that part of my writing experience much meaning. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I disregard the immense support and love my work receives, I just don't think the number of reads, votes and followers is something I should be focused on or gives my work any greater quality than it already possesses.

We all know those infamous popular books that have millions of reads, yes, you know the ones I'm talking about. I'd rather be someone with a small and happy audience than someone who disappoints a whole army of people and their expectations when they see the insane numbers gracing a childish plot.

As I recently said, hard work and dedication will always get proper recognition. I'm enjoying what I do and I'm sharing that with other people. What more could I ask for?

Moycheko : No, and yes. No, in a sense that I don't write for attention, so it doesn't really matter to me how many people read it . But, on the other hand, just like any artist (doesn't matter if dancer, singer, writer etc.) , I would like people to see my work and react to it (especially my close friends). I would like to see if and how my work affects them. Is it good, is it bad, does it need changing, does is seem real? Like I said, I am very new at this and any type of tipp and constructive criticism is welcomed.

Also, I don't really do much about it. I accept my reader count as it is, because there is nothing I can do about it, except give it my best to make the best chapter/book ever. As long as I am proud of my own work, the numbers don't really matter.

lovelyandbubbly
: I started with no readers, and there are books of mine that have little reads. Honestly, I dont care about that, I cant care. I write for myself, I write to be satisfied with me, if someone reads it will make me happy but if not I can deal with that. It wont make me love the book any less

SakuLee26 : No. I'm not talented enough to do that as a career.  I do it just for fun and as my hobby.

don't say that momma bear 🥺

CupcakeShae :  In the beginning, it was a bit discouraging but with time I understood that if the book is meant to be read it'll be read. Secondly, more reads on a book don't approve of it being good. Having fewer reads but good content is better than having more reads and content not worth reading. 

penbangtan : I do get discouraged if there are no readers to my books and in that situation I always remember why I started writing and what writing means to me. I know sometimes it will be very hard to concentrate and write consistently but if you focus on your writing and improving slowly, trust me the readers will gradually read and vote!

KAYOCLOCK : Truthfully, no. I am not the type of person to get discouraged or demotivated by anything. If this question was posed to me a few years ago, I would've said yes, it is a blow on my self-esteem. But one thing I always learn from the art of studying and writing, is that I am my biggest audience. When I love my work, I am pretty sure that when I cherish what I write, it reflects. I'd push myself to cross the hurdles and strive harder to take my works to many potential readers across, and tell them, 'Here, I fell in love. I know you will too.' Because I write for me and you.