Dive In

"Alright time to fall back in to reality" Kimberley said tying my sneakers as if I couldn't do that myself. "Time for the outside world. I promise that even though it may seem scary it's really not"

"Kimberley, I'm not five" I said as she finished my left one.

"Only talk to people you know. Make sure you eat the lunch I packed even if Lily tries to slide you some pizza. Make sure you look both ways when you cross the street"

"Kimberley" I said again as she let her fingers intertwine in my black laces.

"And for the love of God don't do anything stupid" Kimberley stood up raising her eyebrows.

"I'm only going on a morning jog with Lil" I said rolling my eyes before she grabbed my face.

"Stay close to her. And make sure she can see you at all times. Here" Kimberley seriously packed me a lunch in a Mickey Mouse lunch bag.

"Thanks" I said opening it up and pulling out an apple then pouting. "An apple?"

"It's healthy" Kimberley said as I started to pretend to sob. "Fine. Here"

I watched her drop a chocolate bar in there and I skipped out if my home to Lily's car.

"Cheryl, are you serious?" Lily said as I put my seatbelt on.

"Shut up and drive to the beach"

We tried to enjoy a nice jog up and down the side of the beach but my body could not take it anymore as Lily suggested we run in the sand rather than the sidewalk.

"This isn't fun" I said falling over into the sand.

"Come on Chez" She started pulling onto my good arm before I simply say up in the sand.

"I can't go on" I said staring at the rays of sun bounce off the nearby waves.

"Alright we can take a break. How you feeling newlywed?" Lily said picking my hand up.

"I feel great" I said. "But you know only fate will tell"

"You don't think that you're supposed to be with Kimberley. For God sakes you have her last name now"

"I do" I said smiling as I thought back to the marriage license. Her last name was attached to the end of mine. I contemplated a long time before all this happened should I take away the Cole. But I couldn't. I couldn't because when I got that last name that's who people will remember me by. And what they'll always put at the end of my name.

"Then what's the problem?" Lily said pausing the music on her phone.

"It was so sudden. I just wasn't expecting it. I'm ready but I wasn't expecting it" I looked at her coffee orbs still full of excitement from my wedding which was almost three days ago. Then suddenly it all just dropped.

"Are you not over Micah?" Lily said letting me feel the anger her face wasn't showing as she crushed the bones in my fingers.

"I am" I bit my lip as she began to let go. "It was just wrong"

"You guys were broken up, Cheryl. Cut it out" Lil put my fingers down.

"Alright" I looked down at my legs covered in the sand then back up at Lily. "I'm just a bad person, I guess"

"No no. No one thinks that. You feel how you feel. It's alright" Lily said. "Alright. Enough of him lets goooooo"

"Come on spare me" I hit my chest before I started smiling at her.

"Okay look one of your favorite songs" Lil said pressing on her phone and immediately I started singing.

"I'm too hot. hot damn.
Called a police and a fireman
I'm too hot hot damn
Make a dragon wanna retire man" I said beginning to jog next to her.