A nudge from Margot draws me back into the conversation. "Pritchett, you can complain all you want about Alondra's tutoring methods, but we both know it's the only way you passed that class with an A in high school."

"You mean how she made me write every single thing down on a flashcard and carry it around like it was gold?"

"Al's making me do that too! I'm a little happier now to hear that she's a hard ass to everyone, and not just me," Jack says laughing.

"She tried warning you when you asked me to tutor you." I can feel a smile tugging at my lips and I attempt to hide it by taking a long drink of my beer. If I keep going at this pace, I'll end up drinking more of these than I should. "Your first test is this week so if you pass with anything above a ninety, the flashcards can go away."

The flashcards are nothing compared to when I used to call Pritchett in the middle of the night to quiz her randomly. She would get so angry at me, but she did pass her class with flying colors. My methods are crazy but they work.

Peyton snorts, "Al, I think you're forgetting that he failed the class last year. He needs all the help he can get."

His smile doesn't fade, but his cheeks are now tinted red. I think he's ...embarrassed? I don't think I understand what exactly is going on right now. "You got a deal darling," Jack says, tilting his glass towards me and I shake my head.

Eli stands up and I can't help the frown on my face when we make eye contact. "We're going to get some drinks, does anyone want anything?"

"I would like it if you went away and never came back," I mumble under my breath. Margot's giggle next to me tells me that she heard me. I'd also like to know what's going through Jack's head right now.

"Surprise me," She says and Pritchett gets up to go with him. Her face shifts into an almost pleading one to ask me to be nice to Eli.

I force a smile that hopefully doesn't look as fake as it feels, "No thank you."

Everyone else shakes their heads.

With more room at the booth, I wait for Peyton to scooch away from Jack, but she stays put.

"I thought they weren't together?" Jack asks, watching them walk away.

"It changes every week."

Margot grimaces at my reply. Keeping up with Pritchett and Eli is exhausting.

"He's kind of a dick," The guy who was chatting with Eli says before offering me a smile. "I'm Cooper, but these idiots call me Coop."

At the use of his name, I wrack the pieces of the school's hockey roster in my brain I looked at after finding out Jack was on it. Once I piece it together, I know exactly who he is. "You're the goalie right?" On the occasions I do talk to my dad, I've definitely heard Cooper's name a few times.

He smiles wider now, "You looked me up."

"Watched some of your footage too. You're left handed aren't you?"

Margot's fiddling on her phone next to me so I pay her no attention. She's probably texting her boyfriend.

"Yes?" Coop answers and Jack looks at me confused, trying to see where I'm going with this.

"A majority of the shots that got past you last season were made on the right side of the goal. If I were you, I'd spend more time working on that side."

He looks at me like I'm a pig who sprouted wings announcing I could fly. "Holy shit, you really are your father's daughter. He told me that last week. What else?"

"That you probably would have won the Frozen Four game against Michigan if you guys kept your cool on the ice and stopped giving out penalties allowing the other team power play opportunities." I reply quickly, my throat feeling like it's closing up at the mention of my dad. I know I started this conversation, but silly me thinking my dad wouldn't be brought up.

I can feel Jack staring at me and I'm sweating underneath my sweater. It seemed like a great idea when facing the weather outside, but the temperature in here feels like a sauna now. He's being awfully quiet tonight and I wish he'd just say whatever he's thinking even if it drives me nuts.

Downing the last of my beer, I consider texting Pritchett to get me another. I don't need it though. This isn't as terrible as I thought it'd be. Not that I'll ever admit it to her.

Margot shifts in her seat and I glance at her to see an apologetic look. Oh shit. She's ditching me for Hudson.

"No."

"You didn't even know what I was going to say," She says defensively and I roll my eyes.

"You're leaving to go talk to Hudson."

Remorse flickers across her features. "He's on shift and bored... I can tell him no if you want me to stay-"

I sigh, rubbing my face. "Go. It's okay. I'll survive."

Margot gets up hesitantly, shrugging her coat on.

"I'll make it up to you tomorrow."

I doubt she'll be awake before noon, but I shake my head. "Margot, it's seriously okay. Pritchett's still here. Don't feel bad."

Her phone buzzes in her hand again, attracting her attention. Then Peyton speaks up, "I'll make sure she gets back to the dorms okay. Can't have the freshie getting lost when she holds Jack's future in the balance."

Margot disappears and a part of me feels like I've just been thrown to the wolves.