Chapter VII: First Impressions

Mistilteinn 

Hiro's Pov

I finished grieving for the bird from yesterday. I buried it under some dirt near a tree and put a purple flower on top of it. As I was making my way back to our house, something bugged me.

 "Although I don't remember much about my battle with the Klaxosaur, I was certain that I piloted that FranXX. Zero two...................who even is she? And why does the thought of her near me makes my heart beat like thunder ?" I thought to myself.

 All my life I felt and was useless, pathetic.........a coward. But now I have a chance to redeem myself, to prove myself worthy of fighting for humanity, for PAPA. There is only one person who can help me. Zero two. Was it because of her beauty or her horns, or that I piloted with her, that I feel like this about her" I said quietly as I now was close to the house. 

Regardless, I have to ask her if I really piloted that FranXX. This is my only hope to stay here.

I reached the house and I saw Ichigo playing with a cat in the stairs of the porch.

"Are you mew from around here ?" Ichigo said playfully to the kitty. Upon seeing me, the cat ran away.

"Ichigo ?" I asked, "H-Hiro !" Ichigo said as she stood up awkwardly and fixed her skirt.

"You didn't have to wait for me out here" I stated

"It's your fault for running off first thing in the morning. Awkward as it is, you're staying here now. Hold your head high and make yourself at home" She said, blushing a little.

"I heard Naomi was alright. She got taken to the hospital." She said as she walked down the stairs

"Yeah I've heard" I said and walked past her.

"Tell me. Were you the one who piloted that FranXX ?" She asked me

I stopped to process her question "I don't really remember. But, I want to ride with her again, to make sure" I replied 

"Again ?! That girl isn't part of our squad you know." She said, shocked by Hiro's desire.

" I don't care. As long as I get to pilot" I stated without turning to face her

"I heard the rumors about her. None of her partners survived for more than three times.......They didn't make it out alive" she said

 As I heard this, I remember the face of the former stamen of hers, His face all bloody and his body ripped apart. His face had an expression of fear and terror in his last agonizing moments.

she continued "I don't know if the rumors are true or not. But I think you should stay away from her" she sounded worried and scared.

"If I can't pilot, then I'm good as dead anyway" I said and walked away towards the house

"Hiro...." I hear her whisper softly.

Goro opened the door with a look of shock.

"Goro, is something wrong ?" I asked worriedly.

He looked at me horrified "That weird girl is in our mess hall and........he....is also here" He muttered, failing to hide his horror and dispair.

I tuned my gaze to Ichigo and saw the same look in her face also.

"Guys ! You're freaking me out ! Who is this "him" you said ?" I demanded as Ichigo got a hold of herself finally.

"What are you talking about Goro ? Why are they here ? They of all people ?!" Ichigo yelled angrily in frustration.