chapter 21

timeskip-

days had past and you had spent most of it packing and sleeping and doing your research. you hadnt given much time to anything else because you wanted to be sure about everything. every now and then you would head over to meet your batch mates as well as your juniors, taking the time to check up on junpei as well. junpei had learnt of his shikigami with his encounter with mahito and was now trying to master it with the help of fushiguro, a fellow shikigami user.

you'd usually greet them with a smile and you'd ask itadori how junpei really was doing. most of the time it was a "he's doing fine, just a little traumatised still" but there wasnt much you guys could do. only time could solve this issue. you would've loved to stay and accompany your juniors and help them but sadly the week passed by quick and you were leaving to hokkaido tomorrow.

neither did you have the chance to see mahito. after all you had spent majority of your time within the school, only leaving the campus a few times for supplies or for one small mission you had. hence you barely had the chance to see mahito in the flesh. well it wasnt like he was wandering around the streets either, it wasnt that easy to find a curse. you had also no idea where he was hiding, you doubted he stayed in the sewage pipes... he probably had a hide out or something. but at the moment your immense number of events prevented you from caring too much about that.

you sat on your bed, looking around you to make sure you hadnt left out any belongings. your viles were waiting in your lab to be picked up before you left so you just had to remember them tomorrow. you stared into your suitcase, it was nearly filled to the brim and you made sure to charge all your devices for the train ride to hokkaido. you hummed with satisfaction as you peered at the clock on the wall. "5pm huh" you thought, feeling your stomach suddenly rumble. however you were craving some cup noodles, only to realise you had run out the day before.

you wanted to pack some for your stay in hokkaido too, unsure if hokkaido supermarkets would sell the same brand of cup noodles you knew and loved. you set your things aside, deciding to go to the supermarket to get a few packs. you grabbed your wallet and phone, plopping your ear buds into your ear before walking out of your room and out towards the gates.

as you trotted towards supermarket near the jujutsu tech campus, you bopped your hear carefully to the beat from the music in your ears. you walked through the market doors, letting the fresh smell waft towards your nose as you walked towards the instant noodle section. you felt a presence behind you but you ignored it, deciding to immerse yourself into the tune in your ear.

you stood infront of the shelf, in awe of the wonderfully looking flavours. "oo chicken and onion soup.... nooo miso soup" you salivated while mumbling.

"y/n?" you heard your name being called from behind you. "hmm" you hummed as you pulled your ear bud out, turning to see who it was. your eyebrows raised at the sight of the curse.

"mahito? what are you doing here?" you asked as you cocked your head and looked at him. mahito shrugged, "i didnt see you in 4 days so i wanted to see what you were up to... wanna hang?" he asked with a broad smile on his face, almost like a child again. you rolled your eyes. "im kinda busy right now but you can hang with me while i buy noodles?" you said with a chuckle, removing both your ear buds and slipping them into the case so your full attention was on mahito.

mahito smiled before looking at the shelf you were looking at, "cup... noodles?" he said while you nodded. "which should i get?" you asked holding out the two flavours in your hand that were top contenders for the 'buy' position. mahito's brows furrowed, "i dont know what they taste like" he said plainly and your eyes widened, before realising he was a curse, he probably couldnt eat human foods.

you sighed, "ohhh you are missing out" you declared and you stared at the two packets. "well it's not my fault it doesnt work" mahito huffed and you giggled. "i wish i could try it one day" he continued before beginning to pout. with your back facing him, you stared at the shelf, "one day..." you mumbled, reminding you of what you were going to hokkaido for. you sighed.

"i-im leaving to hokkaido tomorrow actually, im taking a research course there for a while" you said hesitantly, turning back to see mahito who's expression had fell.

"you're leaving?" he said with evident disappointment in his tone. you nodded, feeling a little bad for leaving the curse. "oh" he said softly, staring at the floor.

"i mean it's not like you'll be lonely man... one less jujutsu sorcerer after curses right?" you joked, trying to ease the tension but it was to no avail. you turned back to the shelf to look at the other possible cup noodle flavours once more

mahito pov

"you're leaving?" i asked softly, hoping that she was joking but she nodded and i couldnt help but feel a pang at my heart. just when i got to know her properly and just when i was beginning to feel comfortable, she leaves. i huffed softly feeling my eyes well up with tears, but they didnt fall and i tried to keep them in.

"i mean it's not like you'll be lonely man... one less jujutsu sorcerer after curses right?" she joked and i tried to laugh. i knew she was trying to ease the tension but it was my fault there was this tension right. i should be happy for her... that she get's to go for a research course that she enjoys so much. but a part of me couldnt do it, i knew i would miss her. and of course i would be lonely... i mean i had jogo and geto and hanami but it wasnt the same.

the reasons i hung out with them were opposite to why i hung out with y/n. did that make me two faced? doubt overcame me... y/n was the only jujutsu sorcerer who wasnt out to get me... she didnt seem all too hostile with the other curses either... she was doing her job along with her research... but she was no where as harsh as the other jujutsu sorcerers who had no mercy. she broke conduct codes because of her leniency to me but she was unfazed.

"of course i would" i let out softly, quickly wiping my tears before they fell.

"what?" y/n turned to look at me. "you would what?" she gazed gently.

"of course i would be lonely... if you left " i said with courage. "you're my friend" i continued. and y/n seemed to be a little startled.

'my only friend' i repeated in my head.

i paused, not realising now if she really considered me a friend to her. it couldve all been one sided. y/n slowly smiled, putting the packs onto the shelf as she walked up to me.

"i'll miss you too you know" she said as she wrapped her arms around me, engulfing me in a gentle hug which shocked me. i smiled too with relief as i returned the hug, standing in the aisle while holding her tight. i didnt want to let go.

i trusted her... even with my life if that situation ever came close.

y/n pov

you wrapped your arms around the curse, feeling a warmth surge through you as you were reminded that you'd be in the curse's absence for a few months or even a year. this curse had grown to be your friend and you trusted him and you wanted to help him. he was as much of a friend as itadori or any of your school mates were, nothing less. and it never bothered you that he was a curse.

"im sorry" you mumbled slowly as you let go, seeing that tears had streamed out of mahitos eyes. you felt a cold irk at your chest, feeling bad that you would leave him but you had no choice.

"it's okay" mahito let out and you smiled, glad that he accepted it. you patted his shoulder, watching mahito wipe the tears from his eyes. "i wish i could go with you... but the other curses would get suspicious" he said softly and you nodded in understanding.

you grabbed two packs of cup noodles, one of each flavour after giving up on deciding and walked towards the cashier with mahito. you quickly paid for your items and left the supermarket with mahito by your side. as you approached the bus stop a few meters outside the school you stopped to turn to mahito. "i'll see you soon then" your voice filled with hope and mahito looked at you with a sad smile before nodding and replying softly

"yea i'll see you"

a/n: hope u enjoy! sorry for the wait :)