44: We Could Use A Time Machine

Start from the beginning

"Tiara's my girlfriend." He blurted out before I could stop him.

"Girlfriend?" Derrek and Candice chorused and Matt nodded, ignoring my glare. I pinched his back and he let out a yelp, masking it with a laugh. Derrek's eyes were on me once again. It almost seemed like he was silently asking me to confirm or deny what Matt had said.

"Yes, girlfriend." Matt answered instead and Derrek glanced back at him.

"You two make an amazing couple. Just picture perfect." Candice said with excitement on her face. She was obviously overjoyed by the news. I hated Matt so much.

"I would say the same about you and Derrek but not really." Matt said snarkily and I gasped. That idiot had no filter.

"Very funny, Matthew." I slapped his back and he let out a louder yelp. I forced a laugh. "Sorry about this one. He has an awful sense of humor." I pinched him once again, signaling with my eyes for him to apologize.

"I'm sorry. That wasn't funny." He finally apologized and I let go of him. I glanced at Derrek and noticed he had a frown on his face. I was pretty sure he was upset. I could still remember how he got so defensive when Alex talked bad about Candice. He obviously wasn't pleased with Matt's attempt at a joke.

"Do you guys want to get a drink? I'm rather parched." Derrek said after a moment of awkward silence.

"Yes, yes! Let's do that!" I agreed, wanting to get out of this awkward situation as fast as I could.

We all proceeded to the private bar Matt had set up in the VIP area and took a seat at one of the many tables. Matt signaled to the waiter who rushed right over to take our orders.

"You guys wanna do shots and get wasted?" Matt asked and everyone nodded but me.

"Are you pregnant or something? You don't wanna do shots?" Candice didn't pass up the opportunity to annoy me.

"I'm a horrible drunk actually, so, I'm saving you all from my drunken self." I gave her a fake smile.

"That's a lame excuse." She rolled her eyes.

"Not an excuse. I have a habit of attempting to murder annoying bitches when I'm drunk." I retorted, still showing my fakest smile.

"Yeah. She's got a habit of strangling gingers, so, I wouldn't encourage her." Matt added, gesturing to her now ginger hair and she gasped, turning to Derrek to say something but he was typing away on his phone and hadn't been paying any attention to us. His eyebrows were pulled together and he had a frown on his face. I couldn't help but wonder what was going on.

"Derrek, what are you doing? Put your phone down." Candice said in frustration and Derrek looked up at her with a frown still on his face.

"I need to make an important call. You guys can start off without me." He said, getting up to his feet and my eyes followed him as he walked away from us. A part of me wanted to go after him and ask what was wrong but then I remembered that it was none of my business like he'd always enjoyed telling me. I scowled at his retreating figure as I remembered all the times we'd argued because of his secrecy and suddenly, I remembered that it was a relief that our fake engagement charade was over.

"Here we are." Matt said as the waiter returned with shot glasses and a bottle of tequila on a tray. "Are you sure you don't want to join us, Tee?" He asked and I noticed Candice gave me a daring look. She reminded me so much of Chioma and it pissed me off. Same evil, different skin.

"Know what? I'll join you guys." I sat forward and grabbed a glass.

"Now, it's a party!" Matt cheered and I rolled my eyes at him.