|| 028|| Country Roads 💀🐔🐙🔱🔎 O/F

Start from the beginning

Dark and dusty, painted on the sky~

Misty taste of moonshine, teardrop in my eye~

You and Amelia sung in unison. Out of the corner of your eye, you were vaguely aware of Kiara jamming in the front seat while Calli tapped her fingers rhythmically on the steering wheel, a small smile on her face.

Country roads, take me home~

To the place I belong~

West Virginia, mountain mama~

Take me home, country roads~

As soon as you finished the first line, you quieted, letting Amelia and Gura sing their hearts out together, leaning against each other. Gura didn't seem to notice, but nothing slipped past Amelia and she gave you a playful glare, only to resume full volume and Gura took her hands in her own.

I hear her voice in the mornin' hour, she calls me~

You were slightly shocked when Calli started. The reaper focussed her gaze on the road, but you swore you could see the shining of tears in her eyes.

The radio reminds me of my home far away~

Kiara continued, giving Calli a chance to catch her breath and try to discreetly brush away any remaining tears. You once again swore you saw Calli give the phoenix a grateful glance.

You suddenly realised that Amelia, Gura and Ina were doing the same thing, leaning forward as they too watched the moment unfold in front of you.

Perhaps Calli and Kiara caught on to what you were doing, or perhaps the two were really in sync, but all you knew was that they sounded heavenly together.

Drivin' down the road, I get a feelin'~

That I should've been home yesterday, yesterday~

A pause as they shared a glance between them and then to you four.

Country roads, take me home~

To the place I belong~

West Virginia, mountain mama~

Take me home, country roads~

Another quick pause where Gura tackled you and Ina into a hug, obviously not caring that you were in a car while Amelia sat awkwardly to the side, only to be tugged into the hug by you and Ina. Calli and Kiara had leaned in together, still facing forward since Calli was still driving.

Country roads, take me home~

To the place I belong~

West Virginia, mountain mama~

Take me home, country roads~

Take me home, (down) country roads~

No one spoke after you finished singing, the next song coming and going. Ever shared a glance before bursting out in laughter. The atmosphere was warm, comforting, like a hug from a good friend you haven't seen for a while. 

It made you think back to when you first met them, a nervous wreck pushing yourself outside you comfort zone because you had nothing else to do. You didn't expect to grow as popular as you did, you didn't expect to become as close to your former genmates now partners, but here you were.

You all continued travelling in silence, stopping every now and then to stop and stretch your legs while Ina and Kiara would gush about the scenery and taking pictures. Calli would grab a few snacks from the minivan so Gura could have a snack. You and Amelia would wander off just out of eyesight, but not out of hearing, just to explore the area and maaaybe sneak in some personal time.

I guess, in a way, you'd found your home, on the country roads?