Chapter 39: Wasn't There Only 1 Forest?

I followed Lina-san and the others to the table recommended by Gil-san.

After we sat down, we were served with ...... Rolled Cabbage. I wasn't in the mood for steak, so I was quite happy with the choice.

"What about you, Prenna?"

『I don't need any. I'll be fine as long as I have Master's mana.』

That's unexpected, I didn't know that magic power could be used as a substitute for food.

"Is that your familiar, Marina-chan?"

"Ah, yes. Her name is Prenna."

『N- nice to meet you...』

She nervously bowed her head a little.

"You're so smart."

"Yes, she is. I was surprised at first too."

"Hey, but you went to the beginner forest, right? Were there monsters?"

"The beginner forest?"

"Yeah, Clive should have told you about it."

Oh, the one that Clive-san mentioned. Beginner forest should be exactly what it sounds like; a forest for beginners, right? But the forest I went to seemed like it was filled with monsters that are quite strong.

"Is that a forest for beginners?"

"Yeah, we hunt monsters on a regular basis so it's safe."

"But when I was there, it kind of had quite a few monsters"

""""Ha?""""

Gata! Gil-san and the others suddenly all stood up from their chairs and exclaimed in horror, drawing the attention of everyone in the dining room.

"Sorry, everything's good."

They withdrew their stares once Gil-san explained that. But I can still feel their concerned glances.

"So, what's this all about?"

"What do you mean?"

"Wait, Marina-chan definitely went to the Beginner Forest, right?"

Bucket-san inquired, joining the conversation.

"I don't really know..."

"How do you not know?"

"I just followed the road straight ahead and entered the first forest I saw"

It's not like there were any signs either.

"Are you sure?"

"Y- yes"

Gil-san's gaze was a little scary, making me a little stuck for words. I think a normal five-year-old would definitely start crying after seeing that, so please stop.

"Bucket, do you have a map?"

"Wait a second. Yes, I do"

Bucket-san took out a map from the pouch on his waist, but it didn't look big enough to fit that inside.

Perhaps noticing my gaze, Bucket-san gave me an explanation.

"This right here is called a magic pouch and it can hold many things."

"Eeh, that's amazing!"

"You really didn't know that? ... ... well, you're a storage user so this isn't needed."

That's true, but people usually keep storage for emergencies since it consumes mana. Anyway, that has nothing to do with me.

"Listen carefully. This is the city we're in."

Spreading the map out on the table, Gil-san pointed to a small area. I see, that's Gadol.

"And here is the Beginner Forest."

Sliding his finger across the map, he pointed to a spot not far from the city.

"Marina, did you go here?"

"Umm... the forest I went to seems to be a bit further away..."

Yes, the forest I went to was quite far from the city. I didn't look around on the way back because I was talking to Prenna, but I know for sure that I walked a lot.

"Even farther? ... no way, do you mean here?"

The next area Gil-san pointed to was a place further away from the city. While the Beginner Forest was a dot, this was a large oval. In terms of scale, it should be similar to the forest I had visited.

"It's probably here"

"... are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure."

When I answered, Gil-san lifted his head to face the ceiling. H- huh? What's wrong?

"Marina-chan? Are you sure you were here?"

"Yes, in terms of distance and size, it should be here."

"...... Do you know what kind of forest this is?"

Lina-san asked me with a serious expression. Was it really that bad of a place?

"I don't know"

"Haa... really? This place is called the Demonic Forest, and it's said that even an A-rank adventurer won't be safe in here."

W- what? It's true that the monsters in that forest looked stronger than the ones in the Abyssal Forest, but...

"I didn't encounter any monsters."

"...... Is that so? But still, don't go there again, okay?"

"Y- yes..."

Well, it'll be fine as long as they don't find out... right?

"I think it's time to go to bed..."

"Same, I'm kind of tired right now."

"... I'm sorry."

I felt really sorry since I caused them a lot of trouble... wait, trouble? It's for making them worry, right?

"Marina-chan, what are you going to do tomorrow?"

Gil-san asked, changing the subject.

"I haven't decided anything at the moment."

"Do you want to do a commission with us then?"

"Ah! I do!"

"Then it's decided. See you tomorrow."

"Okay, Good night."

I had been wondering what I would do tomorrow, so I was very happy to hear Gil-san's invitation. It wouldn't be too difficult, right?

"Is it alright?"

"Yes, I didn't have much to do anyway."

"That's not what I meant, but... okay. Well, let's sleep well for tomorrow."

"Okay!"

I went back to the room with Lina-san and the others. After that, Lina-san told me that tomorrow's commission would probably be a subjugation request, and they wanted me as support from behind. I should probably not be in the front line lest I disrupt their cooperation, so of course I didn't object.

After talking, I cast clean on myself and Prenna to get ready to sleep.