Chapter 36: A Pleasant Meal

"Fufu, come here"

The creature that came out timidly was pure white, squirrel-like monster. Its eyes were red, like that of albinos on Earth.

"So cute!"

My sudden exclamation started them a bit.

"Aah, sorry"

That was close, I almost became a second Lina-san.
It cautiously came closer to me, wuuu that's way too cute!

"Is it ok to pet you?"

When I asked that, it nodded as if it understood my words. So they're highly intelligent? No, maybe it's because they're monsters?

I made eye contact so as to not scare it away and reached out from below instead of above. Then, I gently stroked its chin. Mofumofu*

*mofumofu = fluffy texture

"Fuwaa, so soft..."

I felt the dense short hairs which gave off an incredible feeling.
From the chin, I moved up to the head, back, and finally the tail. With narrowed red eyes, it let out a short kyuu~

"Too cute...!"

It lowered its body little by little as I stroked it, until it stretched out and laid face down on the ground. D- did it really feel that good?

"Fufu, you're cute"

Because the first one was fine, the rest of them reached a consensus and came out one by one. Each one was a different color, which made for a very colorful scene.

"Eh, you guys too?"

I asked, and they hummed while nodding their heads. You all sure are smart! ? But, it's fine since you're cute!
I stroked each of them in order. They rapidly came out which made the situation a bit chaotic... no, cute? Anyway, the sight of a large amount of monsters laying around a little girl is quite the spectacle.

"Ah, the food!"

I forgot all about it! My loud voice and the way I quickly got up woke some of them up.

"Ah, sorry. Just wait a bit."

I carefully made my way to the burner with the earthenware pot, trying not to disturb the rest of the monsters.

"Hmmm, I plan to steam it here but it's fine right now."

I lifted the lid and inhaled the nostalgic scent of the steam. Behind the layer of steam was..... pure white rice.

"I can finally eat!"

I shouted and quickly looked behind me.
... ... And I,

"What is this!"

All the monsters had woken up and lined up in one row, which was really cute. It's cute, but what is this for?!

"If I'm not mistaken... you want some?"

Hearing my words, the leading monster hummed and nodded its head. R- really.

"Uun, I don't mind but are you guys okay with eating this?"

<Common monsters are omnivores, so there is no problem>

I see.

"Then please wait a bit"

I said to them all and they nodded in unison. Isn't this a bit scary? Still cute though.

I moistened my hands and picked up some rice. I thought it would be a pity for the rice to have no flavor, so I added salt. My small hands shaped a rice ball, albeit a fairly small one. But it seemed just right for these creatures.

"Ok, it's ready. Share this amongst yourselves."

The rice balls were a little bit too much for one monster. I had laid out several of them on a plate and set them on the ground.
I also expected them to crowd around the plate, but they took their portions in order like civilized beings. Are you guys really not human?

As for me, I wasn't going to sit around the entire time so I prepared a portion for myself.

"Ah, I don't have a bowl."

After just realizing that, I hurriedly made a bowl out of the earth. Because I imagined it to look like porcelain, it was shiny and smooth. It's still light brown in color since dyes don't come from the ground. Wait, aren't there gems and the like? Oh well.

I put the freshly cooked rice into the bowl.

"Uuu, this is it! This is it!"

I'll get some tables and chairs from my inventory... no, a goza mat would suffice since we're eating together. After that is the stir-fried vegetables.

I laid out the mat and set the food on top. Everyone else gathered around with their own share.

"Shall we eat together?"

They naturally nodded to my words. Ah, of course.

"Oh, no chopsticks either"

Whatever, I'll eat with a fork for now.

"Itadakimasu"

I put my hands together and started eating. The rice was... pretty good, but just a bit soggy. I'm sure I added the right amount of water so the problem should be with the type of rice. I don't know what would work though. As for the stir-fried vegetables, it was.... average to say the least. But the taste of soy sauce was quite appealing.

"Kiki~?"

Because of my reluctance, one squirrel-like monster tilted its head to the side while letting out a cry. It was one with blue eyes and orange fur.
... ... that's way too cute.

"Aah, hey? If you can understand me, have you ever heard of soy sauce ... ... a black, salty liquid ?"

When I asked that, it discussed with the others with a kiki~. This is so calming...

"Kiki!!"

"Uwa! Eh, what wrong?"

I felt a sudden tug on my clothes and saw a small paw pointing into the woods.

"Is it... there?"

It snorted and nodded at my my words. So it's really there?

"Kiki~! Kiki~!"

"I- I understand!"

It was not only one of them pulling at me. If they wanted me to go there urgently, I'll go.

"Okay then, just wait one second."

I couldn't possible leave the system kitchen unattended. I put the goza, plates, system kitchen and everything else all into my inventory. Squirrel-chan? Kun? ... I guess either's fine. Anyways, they all accompanied me as we ventured into the forest.