Chapter 37: Fantasy is Amazing

I'm back! And today's chapter is ~400 words longer than usual.

——————

The squirrels took me down an unmarked path into the forest.

What would other people think if they saw the situation now?
A young girl walking through the forest with a large number of squirrel-shaped monsters in tow...... Un, yabai.

I'm not sure if I should be happy about this but there are no signs of people around. On the other hand, I'm receiving signs of a swarm of monsters in the vicinity. That's a lot, isn't it? Is this what the forest is supposed to be like?

I don't know why, but the monsters I detected didn't want to come near me. They're pretty far away and every time I approach them, they'll move away. That means they're running away, or rather, they're avoiding me, right? But why?

<Perhaps that is because they sensed Marina-sama's mana and recognized you as a higher rank>

H- higher rank? Huh, then what about these squirrels?

<Monsters that could sense magic can use magic and monsters who can't sense magic can't use magic. Therefore, these creatures can approach you without concern>

Hmm, so you're saying these guys can't use magic?

<Precisely>

I understand, but it seems that most of the monsters in this forest can use magic.

<Exactly, that is the reason why they are avoiding you>

 ...... Wait, that means the strongest existence here is also avoiding me.

<It's something to be proud of, isn't it?>

No, I don't think it's something to be especially proud of ?!

<But you will have to encounter this situation many times in the future>

That's true... haaa. It's a bit complicated. I want to get closer to the monsters but they kept on avoiding me like I'm not even human.

<But you are indeed not a human>

Shut up! I haven't fully accepted this yet!!

<...... I see>

Ah! Are you annoyed?!

<......>

Please don't stay silent! ! That's scary! Wait, how did you even express silence?!

<That is how it is>

You're starting to become more human.

<Thank you>

No, I didn't mean it as a compliment.......

"Kiki~"

It seems that while I was talking to Haku, I arrived at my destination.
We arrived at ...... still just a normal forest?

"Is this it?"

"Kiki!"

It nodded and squealed when I asked, so I guess this is it. But all I could see were trees.

"Where is it?"

I asked again, then the orange squirrel suddenly ran and climbed the tree in front of me.
Eh, what does this mean?

While I was busy trying to understand what was going on, the orange squirrel began to gnaw on the bark of the tree.

"Eeh? What are you doing?"