Love is Quirky (Ch. 5: The Next Day)

As fate would have it, you and Shoji were paired up together for the first time during training the next day. The two of you, normally so comfortable around each other, were now clearly very awkward and nervous. The tension between you two was palpable.

"Ready?" Shoji asked you, getting into a fighting stance.

"Bring it on," you teased. Despite initially feeling awkward, you knew it was time to focus. During sparring is no time to be getting lost in your feelings. Plus, if Shoji could brush it off, you could too.

Shoji nodded and began to run towards you. You activated your quirk, thinking you had this fight in the bag. All you had to do was distract him and then take him down. But Shoji didn't stop running or seem to be distracted by any vision from your quirk.

"Huh?" you thought aloud.

You didn't have any time to think as Shoji quickly took you down. He pinned you to the ground, breathing heavily.

"Gotcha! You make it too easy," he laughed, getting up and stretching a hand down to you to pick you up. When you didn't immediately reach for him, his smile quickly fell.

"Y/N? Are you okay? Did I hurt you?" he kneeled down and propped you up into a sitting position.

"No, I'm fine..." you said, but Shoji didn't believe you. He gently checked your head for any sign of injury.

"Are you sure? Why didn't you do anything when I charged at you?" he asked.

"What? I did! You didn't notice my quirk?"

He shrugged. "I just thought you weren't using it."

"...can I try again?" you asked.

Shoji nodded and you activated your quirk again, searching his eyes for any change of expression. Any sign that he was seeing something different. Something. Anything.

Nothing happened, not even a blink. All you could see was him patiently staring back at you.

"Did you do it yet?" he asked.

You slowly and silently nodded while the gears in your mind spun endlessly.

"I...I don't think my quirk is working," you said, looking up at him with worried eyes. Shoji's expression grew more and more concerned. He placed a hand against your forehead.

"What?! How hard did I hit you? I'm so sorry, Y/N. I would never-" he stuttered.

You interrupted him, placing a hand on his shoulder. "No it's not that, Mezo, don't worry. I'm not hurt. I think it hasn't been working since last night. Remember?"

Shoji blushed a little as he was still not used to you calling him by his first name and from the reminder of the previous night. He shook those memories from his mind as he wanted to focus on tending to you right now.

"Oh, yeah. And you haven't used it since then?" he asked.

You shook your head, still thinking about what could be causing this. It hadn't worked since you used it on yourself. Could that be the cause? The two of you thought in silence for a moment before Shoji swept you up in his arms.

"Mezo!" you yelped. "What are you doing?"

He jogged you both over to Mr. Aizawa, who looked a bit worried to see Shoji carrying you to him.

"Shoji, Y/N, is everything alright?" he asked.

Shoji spoke before you could answer. "We think Y/N's quirk isn't working."

Mr. Aizawa narrowed his eyes. "What do you mean not working?"

"I tried to use my quirk on Shoji when we were sparring but it didn't work. It hasn't been working since last night when I was playing around with it. Come to think of it, it all began after I tried to use it on myself for the first time. Maybe I over exerted it?" you explained.