I also know that her friends all drove, so I was able to bring three Maybach SUVs. Courtesy of Mercedes providing the company cars.

I get nervous when the front door opens. I haven't seen Nyla's dress at all, she said it's nothing special since she's not a dress kind of person.

I stand up straight when I see her come out. words can't describe how beautiful she looks, even if it's a simple dress. the black off-the-shoulder dress hugs her body perfectly. her hair curled to be wavy, the same red bottoms on her feet from Monday. simple hoop earrings in her ears and the necklace I got her. she's wearing it.

"Close your mouth, you'll catch flies," Nyla says in front of me. I close my mouth, still in a daze.

"you look- you look amazing." I stutter.

"thank you, so do you." she says. "is that a pocket watch?"

"yeah, I collect." I nod

"that's different," she says looking at the watch.

"well that I am," I say

"Maybach SUVs?" she asks looking at the cars.

"yes. we're going in style," I say opening the car door for her.

_____________________

"I know you said you're not really a party person, so we don't have to stay long," Nyla says as we approach the venue.

"it's fine. we can stay as long as you like," I assure her, before getting out the car. I round it, going to the back passenger side and opening it for her. I hold out my hand and help her out.

the planning committee really knows how to go all out. A blue carpet goes up a cement staircase, balloons outlining it. the venue is the same venue the school uses for every event. every preparatory and private school uses this venue.

Nyla hooks her arm around mine and we make our way up the staircase. The thing with Breckinridge Prep is that social status means everything to everyone. Especially when a billionaire, me, attend.

I've done things in the past that I should've been expelled for. but that would ruin the school's social status and ranks. if Malik was more well known, like me, the school wouldn't have expelled him. Malik's only now getting popular because he had his 'glow up'. the same thing happened to me freshman year.

I wasn't as active as I am now. I was scrawny and had bull cuts. never speak on that. then the summer we moved back to Miami, I started working out. that's all I did. Work out and learn how to own a restaurant. That September I opened a restaurant under my dad's company, but in my name. I got a lot more attention from the media and soon attention from other people.

with that came rumours and assumptions. lots of false ones.

"Mateo James and Nyla Jay. Who do you have on?" one of the school's morning reporters ask. like I said, social status.

"Bottega Veneta and Burberry." Nyla answers.

we keep going down the carpet until we reach the open doors. music blasts through, the building, the lights blue and white. the school's colours.

It's not that I don't like parties. I'm just not social. I don't enjoy the socialization part. I also don't like people touching me. that's something I'm working on since old businessmen like to hug.

when we walk through the doors and are met by a greeter's table.

"Student I.D and 5 dollar fee." The brunette says.

I take my wallet out, taking out a 10 dollar bill and my student I.D.

Nyla tries to pay but I take the 5 dollar bill out her hand.