0.7

"Nyla Jay will you be my date to Homecoming?"

I turn around with wide eyes, the paper dropping out of my hand.

flowers and a sign. held by the person I convinced myself wasn't writing the letters.

"yes," I answer, in shock.

Mateo pulls me into a hug, wrapping his arms around me.

"I thought you were gonna say no" Mateo mumbles.

"I'm just in shock that's all," I tell him

"expected"

"four years?" I ask, we start swaying side to side while in a hug.

"long story. but everything I wrote was true. the thing about being jealous was a hidden message and also something to throw you off guard." he explains

"How did you do it?" I ask.

"I wrote the letters every night. I know calligraphy. I would give them to Owen and he would give them to Jax, his son. Jax would come early and put them into your locker. the personal hand-offs were people malik asked in his classes. and I got help from your friends and dad. but I may have had malik search for your playlists." he tells

"Not sure who I should be mad at. you for doing this so well and buying me things. my dad and friends for hiding this so well, or malik for actually listening to you." I chuckle.

"I know buying you things isn't the way to your heart. but I still want to spoil you. treat you like a queen." she says. his words making goosebumps rise on my skin and my heart flutter.

I look up at him. my hand going up to his hair.

"what?"

"you're such a softie." I tease. he rolls his eyes, blushing.

"I have questions," I say.

"ask."

"who's A.G?" I ask, it's been killing my mind.

"Andreas Giovanni. my middle names," he tells.

"What did you mean in the fifth letter?" I ask, pulling away to get the letter out my locker.

"might seem stalkerish, but I'm jealous that you got Mateo as a partner. I wish it was me. he makes you smile, and you being you, you're actually nice to him and talk to him. that's what I like about you. you talk to everyone, doesn't matter who they are. but I want to make you smile, do I make you smile? through letters? without talking to you?

if you were to find out who I was would you say yes to me? would you say yes if I told you the kind of guy I was? would you let me tell you everything, without running? would you?" I read out loud. "I know you said it was a hidden message, but could you just explain?"

"'do I make you smile?' 'without talking to you?' I don't talk half the time, and sometimes I wonder if your smiles are forced. just to be nice. 'if you were to find out who I was would you say yes to me? would you say yes if I told you the kind of guy I was? would you let me tell you everything, without running?" he looks at me, deep in my eyes.