Chapter 11: The Boat - Part 2

TW drowning and trauma—multiple instances.

––––––––––

With a flap of his tail, Appa took off, flying them over the shoreline and over a rocky mountain, where they were quick to spot the nearby harbour town. He landed in the water beside a wooden pier where the boats were supposed to be docked.

It was a cute town—similar in structure to the trading dock they'd met the pirates at, but with less of a chance of being stabbed and mugged. But about the same chance of being ripped off by greedy shopkeepers—enter the plump old lady selling watermelons.

"I'm telling you, it's good, it's perfect!" she argued as Katara inspected the watermelon in disbelief. She pulled a displeased face when she shook the fruit to hear a sloppy swish from within.

"I don't know if I like the sound of that swishing," Katara admitted, averting her eyes to look for another stall.

"Swishing means it's ripe!" the lady countered, speeding in front of the waterbender. "It's the ripe juices swishing around, huh?"

"I think it's true, Katara," Aang piped in from behind, glider in his hand. "Swishing means it's ripe."

After a moment of consideration, Katara turned to Charlie. "I just realised, I think we're out of money anyway."

Charlie held up her hand assuringly, stepping in front of Katara and facing the old lady. "How 'bout this—we cut into it now. If it's good, we'll pay for it. If it's bad, you pay us for it."

"Dea—wait! I'm not paying you to take my fruit!"

"Oh dip, she realised," Charlie muttered to Katara from the corner of her lip. "I should have known better, that one only works two out of three times."

The lady groaned in annoyance, ripping the fruit basket out of Sokka's hands and storming back behind her stall.

"Great, out of money and out of food," Sokka droned, crossing his arms. "Now what are we supposed to do?"

"You could get a job, smart guy," Katara drawled, propping her wrists on her hips and leaning forwards tauntingly.

"You shouldn't go out there! Please, the fish can wait. There's going to be a terrible storm.

"Aw you're crazy, it's a nice day! No clouds, no wind, no nothin' so quit your naggin', woman

"Maybe we should find some shelter?" Aang suggested hesitantly.

"Are you kidding? Shelter from what?" he questioned with furrowed brows, looking up at the clear sky.

"My joints say there's going to be a storm! A bad one," she'd quivered out, fear evident in her voice.

The cogs in Charlie's mind began turning rapidly. A storm? In this weather? It seemed unlikely, but these last few hours have seemed more upbeat and plot-like than their off-time. The realisation that she was in the episode fittingly titled 'The Storm' came embarrassingly late.

"Funny, my joints are saying the same thing!" Charlie announced, holding out her hand. "Specifically my left pinky knuckle. It says big storm. Fish bad."

Sokka rolled his eyes. "Oh come on, Charlie, you can't seriously think it'll storm today, right?"

Charlie propped her hands on her hips and held her head high in confidence. "Sure do. In fact, if I'm right you've gotta pay me 50 silver pieces. If I'm wrong though you only have to pay me 10."

"Alright, deal—wait why would I pay you for being wrong?!"

"You've already said deal man, I dunno what else to tell you," she drawled with a shrug.