I 08 I The Library Book

~*~

~*~

Malfoy yelped in a high-pitched tone. He certainly wasn't expecting for Alexander's fist to wrap around the lapels of his robes. Gasps rung from the students, their attention caught. Seamus shouted, 'Go on, Alex, get the bloody wanker!' Others yelled, 'No' or 'Get him!' The ferret's face was pinched in fear and his cold eyes blown wide. He was trying to push against Alexander's tight hold, his force weak as Malfoy was unused to Muggle fighting; Alexander held on, his knuckles stretched white, snarling in anger. He pulled his other hand back, anticipating the cracking sound of the ferret's nose when it descended.

But it never happened. An invisible wall blocked his fist.

'Mr Laurent, please remove your hand from Mr Malfoy.' Dumbledore had his wand out and was peering gravely at them, accompanied by Professor McGonagall and Snape, the latter of whom was glaring at him.

'Tut, tut,' said Snape scornfully, 'fighting in corridors are we, Laurent? How very . . . inexcusable.'

Malfoy shoved Alexander's arm, his smile smug now that the teachers were here. He was breathing dramatically and flexing his hand on his throat. 'He was about to kill me,' sneered Malfoy. 'You should have him expelled. I'll have bruises after this.'

'That is quite enough, Mr Malfoy,' said Professor McGonagall sternly.

'My father will hear about this! Make no mistake of that. You'll get what's coming to you, Laurent, soon.' Malfoy stumbled backwards, and a flash of panic appeared when Alexander mockingly took a step forwards.

'I said that was enough, Mr Malfoy.'

Malfoy sneered then turned his back, ramming his way through the crowd carelessly. Some people groaned in response, glaring, but didn't say anything. Alexander saw the heavy figures of Crabbe and Goyle join the ferret as they disappeared around a corner.

McGonagall pursed her lips at Alexander. 'As for you Mr Laurent, you should have known better. It was disgraceful, and as a result, five points will be taken from Gryffindor. Fighting will not be tolerated.'

Alexander pressed his lips together and nodded. His only regret was not being able to get a hit on the ferret at least once. Especially as he had the nerve to use that word again. And he was somewhat insinuating some sort of threat against Hermione. Alexander scowled at the thought.

Ron and Hermione's attention was focused on him. They all appeared shocked though Ron looked slightly disappointed that the ferret didn't get punched. Alexander shrugged helplessly at him. Hermione was frowning deeply. Harry was distracted by Dumbledore's appearance.

Dumbledore's face was serious as he swept past Harry, Ron, and Hermione and detached Mrs Norris. He held up a hand when Harry stammered desperately, 'Sir, I didn't, we didn't —' Harry instantly become silent though his face showed how badly he wished to explain himself. Alexander himself didn't understand. Someone had done this to Mrs Norris and he doubted the culprit to be a student.