I 06 I Slugs and Trophies

~*~

~*~

No matter how many times they tried to avoid Lockhart, he always seemed to pop up. It was maddening, and Alexander almost missed Quirrell, the noseless psychopath included and all. Occasionally, he heard giggling and dreamy sighs happening whenever Lockhart flashed a smile as he walked down a corridor. Hermione, thankfully, did not do this, but she did go rather pink in the face when the obnoxious idiot happened to smile in her direction. Defence lessons were the worst for this.

Colin Creevey was just an irritation as Lockhart was. The first-year seemed to have memorised Harry's schedule and would be seen close by when Harry went to his same lessons. Although Colin was harmless, Alexander was fed up with seeing him every time he talked to Harry. Nothing seemed to give Colin a bigger thrill than to say, 'All right, Harry' six or seven times a day and hear, 'Hello, Colin' back. Alexander sensed Harry's exasperation but knew that Harry was too kind-hearted a person to tell Colin to go away. Alexander, however, had no such problem.

Colin was blocking their way in a crowded corridor to say hello. People were jolting them without a care and Colin was making it worse by standing still. Impatience bloomed in Alexander's chest.

'Can you move out of the way – Don't you have a lesson to go to?' he snapped harshly, after witnessing Colin peer with a nervous yet awe-stricken glance at Harry's face. Harry himself was trying very hard not to notice the tiny first-year as he nudged his way through the cluster of students.

'Alexander!' reprimanded Hermione, then in a quiet tone hissed, 'don't be so rude.'

Colin's burned red to the tips of his ears as Alexander's callous tone startled him. Colin was finding it tricky to meet the stares of the four second-years and fidgeted with his camera, that hung around his neck. It was one thing to be genuine friends with Harry, which Alexander had no problem with, but it was another to make his friend feel uncomfortable simply due to his status, which Colin seemed to unknowingly do.

Alexander sighed and said more levelly, 'Look, can you please move, you're kind of in everyone's way.'

Colin shuffled to the side, clearing the narrow path. He appeared close to tears. 'Sorry, I-I didn't mean to.' Colin was then jostled by a few upper-year boys and, with panicked eyes, his frame would have fallen over if Alexander weren't quick to grab him. 'T-thank you,' he stammered.

'Just don't get in the way again,' said Alexander, finally becoming free of all the shoulders that were pushing and shoving against them.

Colin nodded, then with a final peek at Harry, he walked off in the opposite direction and became consumed by the crowd until he was no more than a sandy-haired dot.

'He's weird midget, ain't he,' professed Ron, as they made their way to Charms.

'Ron, you can't just call someone that,' scowled Hermione.