Chapter 4: Hunter

Chapter 4: Hunter

I'm on the verge of passing out. My head is a ball of pain, and I'm still stuck on the wall. Alexia's wind is holding me tight.

With her words, something changes within me. Like a switch has been flipped. A warm, fuzzy feeling starts to build in my core. The feeling is one of nature and peace. This is where I belong. I feel the new power rushing through me. Suddenly, I know what to do. I lift my hand and let the fuzzy feeling from inside me wrap around Alexia. In moments she is encased in vines.

I wrap the feeling around myself and burst the feeling outwards. Her wind vanishes from around me, and I fall to my knees.

I stumble to my feet. The world is spinning around me. I use my powers to keep me steady.

I spin Alexia around with my powers. "You're wrong; I do belong here," I say.

I might be mistaken, but I swear I see a smile on her face for only a second.

I start to take a step forward, but the ground rushes up to meet me, and the world goes black.

###

When I come to, I'm lying in what seems to be a hospital bed. Voices are talking on the other side of the room. I listen in.

"He has several broken ribs from the shooting and from the beating he took from you. As well as a pretty serious concussion," I hear a voice say.

"Alexia, that was very irresponsible of you to do that. If he hadn't changed, we might not have been able to save him," Mr. Cloak said.

"Yeah, well, it worked, didn't it? He changed. He's a Major Legend," Alexia says.

"When he wakes up, you owe him an apology," Mr. Cloak says.

"Whatever."

I struggle into a sitting position, and almost instantly, a nice-looking woman is by my side.

"Hunter, please stay still, ok? You're pretty badly injured. I can heal you, but you have to stay awake ok?" she asks.

I nod.

I don't know what I'm expecting, but it sure isn't the flaming hot fire that races through my body. It's unusually hot where I'm injured. A flaring pain hits my head, and I yelp. Then just as suddenly as it came, it's gone, and I feel fine.

I sit up, and Daren, Auden, and Alexia come over with Mr. Cloak on their heels.

"You feel ok?" Daren asks.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I say, rolling my neck.

"I'm sorry that I almost killed you," Alexia says, looking away, "Actually, no, I'm not. It worked, so you're welcome."

"What worked?" I ask.

"Hunter, you changed right before you passed out. You are a Major Legend. That's the most powerful Legend ever; there are only about 4 in the world currently. You, Auden, and Alexia," Mr. Cloak says.

"I'm a Major Legend? What's my power?" I ask excitedly. I changed! This is what I've always wanted since grandpa died!

"Well, from what your core is telling me, you can control plants. Auden was telling me that you four were going out tonight. I'll let you go so that you can get ready. There are some outfits in your closet for you. Alexia and Auden will help you with your powers," Mr. Cloak says.

"Ok, thank you," I say, standing up as he leaves. "What time is it?"

"4, you were asleep for a long time," Auden says.