Ch.5

All day I could think of nothing but my plans for the evening, even through my math class where I could not spare any time to daydream.

As I walked home, I contemplated whether or not I should buy them a gift, as a token of my gratitude. Just thinking of what could have happened if they hadn't shown up gave me shivers.

Seeing a nice bakery,I made up my mind and decided I'd buy them a cake. I chose a chocolate cake that smelled amazing, even through its box.

Once home, I decided to keep the clothes I was currently wearing. I don't think being formal is necessary.

I tried to ease my nerves by planning some conversation topics I could use with them, but they all seemed silly, frivolous, or maybe even offensive. Then a thought occurred to me. Do turtles eat chocolate?...I should ask Donatello before leaving.

After an hour of me trying to do homework, even though it was Friday evening, not Sunday night, that's how nervous I was, I heard a very soft but definite, thud. He's here. I went over and opened the window to a very surprised Donatello.

"How'd you know I was here?" he asked.

"I heard you," I answered simply.

He made a face, but quickly smiled.

"Anyway, you ready?" he asked, eyes bright.

"Yes, oh, wait. What do turtles eat?"

"That depends. Are we talking sea turtles or fresh water turtles?" he asked completely missing my point.

"I meant you."

"Oooh we can eat human food. And algae."

"So is chocolate cake a yes?" I asked picking up the box.

His eyes widened. "Is that for us?" he asked surprised.

"Yeah..."

He smiled. "We'll love it."

"Okay, I'll meet you outside." He nodded and jumped out the window.

"I'm going to a friend's house!" I said as I walked towards the door.

"Who's house?" my mom asked from the living room.

"Oh, um, Amanda's," I lied coming up with a random name.

"Okay, when will you be back?" she asked now in sight.

"When should I be back?"

"Well, since it's Friday...I guess be back before 10:30."

"Okay, bye!"

Once outside I couldn't find Donatello.

"Donatello?"

"Over here," whispered a small voice from behind.

I walked over to the shadow between my house and my neighbor's.

"This way," he said waking out of the shadow and across the street until we stopped in the middle, next to a manhole.

"Now what?" I asked confused.

"We go down there,"Donatello said pointing down into the sewers.

"Ooh."

He lifted the cover and jumped down.

"I don't think I can jump down there..." I said, scared more of the jump than the smell.

"Don't worry. This part of the sewer is clean, well, for a sewer," he assured from below.

"No...well that's good, but...I'm not about to jump and break something."

"Don't worry Y/n! I'll catch you!"

I stood there conflicted for a while. I can't just jump into a sewer. I don't even know how deep it is!

"Please?" he said softly.

His voice tugged something inside me. "Ugh, fine. Please don't let me die."

I sat on the edge and slid in, partially expecting to die.