After there was no reaction from any official side, he started to accept that it had to be George's decision, that the Prince just did not want to see him anymore.

No matter how much it hurt, he could not change it and he needed to get his work as a servant done- which became more and more difficult as his thoughts drifted off more and more often to a person with dark fluffy hair, a charming smile, warm red eyes…-

"Clay!"
He winced as Darryl snapped his fingers in front of Clay's face.

He looked up to his ROS who was standing on the other side of the desk, watching him with a concerned expression.

"See, this is what I mean. You're floating out of reality all the time. What's wrong? What is bothering you so much?"

Clay opened his mouth but he did not know what to say. He looked down again.

How could he express this pain of being ignored? There were no words for it.

Maybe Nick was right, maybe George really did not care about any Vilis. He was the Pretiosi Prince at last.

The voice of his ROS got softer.
"Is it about George? I've noticed you're not meeting anymore."

Clay slowly nodded, unsure to what extent he could trust Darryl. Should he tell him about the haunting feelings he had of the Prince? The endless nightmares of him being alone, as if he was left by a best friend?

"Hey, you don't have to worry about the Rebellion. They won't be mad if you don't have new information all the time."

Clay looked up in surprise.
"That's not- that's not what I'm concerned about."

Darryl sat down in his office chair.
"What is it then?"

Clay hesitated. But he felt the urge to talk and suddenly everything burst out of him.

"I just don't- don't understand why he isn't talking to me anymore. He sent me a message telling me to meet him somewhere but he didn't show up and he had been ignoring me ever since, I just don't know what I could have done! I don't think he found out about my spying on him, but that's not the point, I miss him and I feel like I care about him not talking to me but I don't know why…-"

"Wait, calm down, let's talk about this for a second." Darryl interrupted him.

"You say you like him? You enjoyed talking to him in your meetings?"

Clay thought about it for a moment, but the words were reflecting what he felt, no matter how stupid they might sound.

"I thought this is only a job to you."

Clay felt his throat closing up. It was only a job to him, in the beginning. But George had such a strange effect on him, he could not explain it. If it was only a job to him, it would not hurt so bad, right?

Darryl sighed and looked at him pityingly.

"I wish I could help you but I'm afraid that I can't make an appointment with the Prince to ask why he isn't talking to a certain servant, not even as an ROS. I'm sorry, but maybe you just have to wait a bit to get an answer."

Clay nodded, his lips pressed together.

Again. Acceptance.

Why was this simple word so difficult to implement?

"Is it true that George and Fulga will get married soon?"
The words left his mouth before he even thought about them.

Darryl was already immersed in the folders on his desk.
"Yeah, I've heard something like this from the other ROS, we should get a plan for the preparations soon. Why? You sound like it is bothering you?"