It was now Sunday and my mother was nowhere to be found. I enjoyed it that way, because she'd only want me to head to the club—and I felt much too torn to do that now. Maddie and I sat at the kitchen table.

"I have to. I have things to do," I muttered.

She pointed at the tea in front of me. "Drink."

I rolled my eyes, but obliged.

"Grace called," she said, sipping her coffee.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah," she said, smiling slyly.

"What," I demanded.

"She likes you, M."

Although the pain medication relieved the sharpness in my ribs, it did nothing to slow my headache.

"Shut up, Maddie."

"I know she-," Maddie started, but was cut off by my mother coming through the door.

She took one good look at me and her brows drew together. "This is why the money wasn't on the counter last night? Someone jumped you for it?"

I gulped.

"What money?," Maddie said, carefully looking between my mother and I.

"I'm sorry," I said, my voice small. "I'll have it tomorrow night."

Looking at her graying auburn hair and dark chestnut eyes, I wanted to believe she'd take care of me. But, no. My heart twisted as her face stayed emotionless. After finding her keys, my mother slammed the door shut.

I got up from the table and pushed my tea aside. "I have homework to do," I said, quietly.

Maddie yanked at my hand. "What money, Miles?"

I shook free of her hand. "Mads, I love you. I do. But, don't push me right now," I said, evenly.

A stung look glazed through my sister's eyes and she nodded, going back to stirring her coffee. She was alone at the dinner table that was once full of laughter.

When I reached the bathroom, I vomited my emotions. They weren't tasteful.

                            •••••••••••••••••••••••••

I was sore all over. It was Monday, and I had to face Liam. More than face him, I had to help him.

"Miles, I don't believe you, you know," Maddie voiced as she pulled into the school's parking lot.

I leaned my head against the headrest and shut my eyes. "About?"

"Getting into a fight with some guys at the bus stop," she said, sternly. "That's a lie. Tell me what really happened."

I released a breath. Ever since Friday night, I'd been peering out the windows of my house and making sure to lock all the doors. Whatever Carl and his 'gang' wanted me for, it was serious. More than serious; I should've been dead. Liam should've been too, because unlike him, I didn't do the crimes that Carl accused me for. I wasn't a cheat.