H.E.R

"These values look good Shirley", the doctor said. "The challenge is now to keep up these numbers and work upon improving them. You have come a long way in the past 3 months" he said, closing the file with the test report "don't let it all go to waste"

He went on to explain the way forward and after fixing a follow up in 3 months, Shirley left the hospital. On the ride back home she felt a little relieved. Her ticker was giving her trouble. She had always been on the heavier side - broad shoulders, wider hips and  heavy thighs were her personal assets. Of late she had been immersing herself in work so much that she had had no time to exercise or look into what she was eating. This had affected her heart and kidney. She had been on deathbed 3 months ago, barely scraping through with her life.

The incident was like a wake up call for Shirley who had turned a new leaf. She now ate healthy, exercised regularly and this was her third appointment with Dr Cole, her cardiologist. She had definitely improved but as the good doctor had pointed out, she had a long way to go before full recovery.

Her phone rang. "Heya, how'd the appointment go ?" Came Mel's voice from the other side. "I'm not gonna die today", she responded "Huzzah", Mel said.  Mel was her colleague and closest friend, almost akin to a sister. They worked at a marketing agency where Mel was the CEO's secretary and Shirley was an agent. She had a flexible schedule to work from home and go into office only incase of presentations. "Mr. Parikh wanted to meet you. Is it possible for you to come in today?"Mel continued
"Sure, I was on my way home. But I guess I can stop by the office for a bit."
"Good, see you in a bit then"
Shirley hung up and took the next exit to her office.

She always liked coming into the office. It was a well lit and spacious room with glasses for walls and an array of potted plants strategically placed to give it a greeen house look. Shirley preferred working from the comfort of her home but on those days when she had to come into the office, she made sure she soaked up all the sun. Mr. Parikh's office was in the corner facing the door, so he could see anyone who walked in. He was a short man in his 50s whose friendly nature was adored by his employees. He was a father figure to most working here.

"There is my favourite employee ", Mr Parikh commented as Shirley walked in. "Mel told me that things went well at the doctor's?"
Shirley nodded
"Good good. Now that things are sorting out, would you like to look into a more serious account?"he asked. They had been letting her easy on the job for the past few months which had really helped with her healing. She held an operations role in an Advertisement agency. A job didn't require her to come into office everyday, just for presentations and meetings but even that had been difficult the past few months. She felt renewed now and with the doctor's appointment going well, she was ready to bounce back to work. "I'd love to, Mr. Parikh, thank you so much", she responded enthusiastically. "You have been very understanding the past few months and I really cannot express my feelings completely ".
"Ah, please don't make this too formal dear. We are one big family here and a family always looks out for one another", Mr Parikh said, in his soothing voice.
"So, the account - it's the D's. They have a new product launch coming up and they want to start the marketing early. You will head the campaign. Details are on Mel's desk. Why don't you start on it right away and we will need to hold a meeting with the D's soon"

The D's were Davenports. They were the oldest and most loyal clients of the company and always came up with a big budget advertisement project. If Mr Parikh was moving her to head this one, it clearly indicated an upward trajectory in her career growth and this prospect really excited Shirley. After exchanging some more pleasantries she bid farewell to her boss and stepped out to Mel's desk.

"So,  the D's huh ?" Mel said handing over the files "Mr Parikh clearly thinks you have good potential"
Shirley hoped so. "Wanna grab some lunch? It has been so long since we got together" Mel continued.
Mel and Shirley had been friends for almost a decade now. They had seen the ups and downs of their late teens and their 20s and were closer to their 30s now. No matter how busy her life was, Mel always found time for Shirley and the same went with Shirley too. They were the bestest of friends.
They stepped out to lunch at their favourite cafe across the road. Mel ordered a burger and fries while Shirley settled for a salad.
"I know you are trying to lose weight but do you have to eat grass all the time?" Mel teased. She was a very body positive person and one of the very few people Shirley knew who didn't make her feel bad about her large frame. "Besides you lost so much weight in the past few months Sher . You don't need to punish yourself" she continued.

"The doctor says this is not enough and I need to drop more. Besides I want to lose weight Mel. I don't wanna be in trouble anymore. No punishment here, just careful evaluation of what I'm putting in my mouth" Shirley responded
"Speaking of putting things in your mouth, any news of Kevin?" Mel enquired. Kevin had been Shirley's boyfriend for over 2 years and she had hoped it was going somewhere. On the day she collapsed, Kevin had sent her off in an ambulance promising to follow in his car but had never showed up at the hospital. 2 days later, once she got out of the ICU she had received a text from him informing her that "he was scared of hospitals and it was over". Thankfully she had no time to dwell over an asshole boyfriend and instead had focused on recovering. Mel had been there throughout like a solid wall of support until her mom had come down and taken over. Shirley was so grateful that these women were in her lives and did not worry about not having a boyfriend.
"Not a peep" she responded.
"Well it's for the good" Mel pondered taking a bite of her burger " you deserve better anyway"
The rest of the lunch proceeded as usual with them discussing office and friends and family. After lunch Shirley bade her friend goodbye and drove home. She wanted to get started on the D's account right away and also planned a round of brisk walking in the park in front of her apartment. She eased her car into her designated parking spot and stepped out of the car and heard a squeak. Looking down, she saw a squeak toy and bent over to pick it up. Straightening she was startled to see a man in front of her. He was smiling and holding out his hand as if asking for the toy. And he was tall. Very tall. His face showing a stubble covering a sharp jaw. His messy hair, brown eyes and crooked smile gave her a jolt. Her heart started beating rapidly and before she knew it she was sweating.

X—————————x————————-x——————-X