Chapter 10

NAAL'S POV

I run fast and hard until I can barely breathe, and then I run some more. I keep running into I can't feel my legs any longer and even then I push myself to go further. It isn't until I reach that familiar scent that I finally slow down and collapse onto the snow. My lungs feel as though they are going to burst and my muscles are aching in places I didn't know I had. But what hurts the most is my heart.

"Naal? Can you hear me? Naal please answer man." I hear the desperation in Luka's voice but I have no sympathy for him. For four years I sat idly by as Luka treated Raelynn as his own. He is oblivious to the fact that his wolf is already attached to her and in a sense it is helpful for me. 

"Naal I know you must be pissed but it's late and your parents said you didn't go home. Please just let me know you're ok." My wolf snorts and ignores the plea. Ever since he used his Alpha command on me my wolf has been hiding in the back of my mind. He is just as pissed as I am but we both know we must respect our Alpha... and our best friend.

If he truly was your best friend he would allow us to spend time with the human as well. My wolf growls in my mind and I bury my head further in the snow.

It's not as simple as that and you know it. I tell him trying to be the reasonable one.

We must stake our claim. His growls become louder and I try to push him farther back in my mind.

We can't-

Yes we can! His voice is deep and angry but I'm angrier.

NO WE CAN'T! HIS WOLF HAS ALREADY CLAIMED HER! IF WE INTERFERE WE WOULD BE GOING AGAINST OUR ALPHA. AND MY BEST FRIEND!

WHAT KIND OF BEST FRIEND HOLDS ON TO A GIRL HE DOESN'T LOVE?  His voice booms all around my mind and I can do nothing to ignore it.

He is right... of course he is but that doesn't matter. Luka is protective and possessive of Raelynn and in turn he won't allow many near her. Anger builds at the thought of his selfishness and in turn causes me to howl out, the sound piercing through the woods and breaking my heart over and over again.

Why must I feel this way for her? Why couldn't it be someone else? I've tried so hard to like the other girls but my heart will go no further. It belongs only to that blue eyed angel that is Raelynn Dawson and I hate myself because of it. When she disappeared for those three years I nearly went berserk. I searched for her every night secretly hoping that she was just hiding out in the woods like she always does but she wasn't. She was nowhere to be found and that caused my wolf to sink into a depression. He was always quiet and whimpering for her making me have to put on a show of strength for the both of us. I barely knew the girl and already she was gone. It was such torture for me and yet Luka seemed so strong. He was upset as well of course having episodes of disappearing into the woods for days at a time, but afterwards he seemed fine. How he could be so strong when I felt so weak I don't know, but I was going to harness that strength one day.

For a human she loves nature and wildlife just as much as us wolves and I adore that about her. I like her hair, how full it is and how it bounces and sways with her every movement. I like her eyes and how uncommon they are, to the point that even her sister doesn't have those amazing eyes. I like her laugh and her smile; it just... it lights up everything around her and makes everyone happy. Her teeth have straightened and that adorable gap is gone but instead has been replaced with such a stunning smile that allows her to get anything she wants. It's either that smile or that pout that sucks you in. I like her awareness to all that is around her... even though she only seems to be focused on Luka most of the time... But it's ok because we are still friends... and we always will be.