Chapter 42 ◈ Wary Allies

A day after waking up from my 'vision sleep', which I decided to call it that, Demetrius spent the whole day giving me a tour around his, or our, mansion so I wouldn't get myself lost again

A day after waking up from my 'vision sleep', which I decided to call it that, Demetrius spent the whole day giving me a tour around his, or our, mansion so I wouldn't get myself lost again. He showed me quite a lot of stuff, like the ballroom, the dining area, the library, the music room and other fancier rooms that I'd never thought were a thing.

The mere thought of my father, my family having all this wealth got me excited and appalled at the same time. But as much as I wanted to grant his wishes for me to stay in the mansion for a while, I couldn't stop thinking about Zeus, Athena, or Poseidon back home. They probably were still trying to decipher the riddle on the scroll I translated or busy looking for me. Either way, I was homesick.

I wish I could just give them a call and tell them I was fine, but with Demetrius shooting me jovial looks during my tour, I decided against it in fear of ruining his cheerful mood. He wasn't kidding when he said he wanted to make it up for me.

I still can't believe Demetrius is my father. As much as I'd like to feel all teary-eyed that we met, I didn't know what to feel. If Ben didn't tell me he was dead, I've always thought I'd meet him in some awkward way and just. . . not talk about it.

As for the Rogues, not so much.

Demetrius thought it was a great idea to announce it during dinner. I didn't want to join them on their table, saying that his butler Jean-Paul told me he'd bring my meal into my room, but he insisted that I eat with them.

And here I was, keeping my eyes on my food, a beef stew with mashed potatoes, as I listened to them argue.

"What?!" Eloise, or Artemis, exclaimed, rising from her seat. She sat a few seats away from me, which I was thankful for. "You must be joking!"

"Doesn't sound like a good one to me," Raymond, Hermes's Chosen, muttered in front of me. I didn't hear a comment from Alistair, who sat beside him on his wheelchair. Yet.

"I kid you not," Demetrius said. "She's my long-lost daughter. The talisman I gave her, which I created, is proof."

I looked up and Eloise glared at me with her silver eyes. I stared back, matching her gaze with my own.

"Bitch," she angrily thought.

Alistair gazed at Demetrius. "That's why you specifically told me to look for the talisman among them and take it. You knew one of them had it in their possession."

"I had my suspicions," Demetrius said.

"You were the one who stole my necklace?" I stared at Alistair, my eyes almost bulging out of their sockets. "But when, and how?"

Alistair gave me a smug look. "What happens in Italy, stays in Italy."

Eloise slowly sat down to her chair, scowling. "Between you and her, I don't see any family resemblance at all. That's one proof that she might be an impostor."