Chosen last (rottmnt turtles x reader)

Summary:Readers friends only invite them to things if they have no one else to go with. Reader keeps their mouth shut about it and just guesses that this is how friendship works. One day they meet the turtles and April, and for once they're not chosen last.
Pairing: platonic turtles x reader(Implied female reader but I'll do my best to avoid pronouns! Sorry if a she/her slips out)

"I couldn't find anyone else to go with me so do you want to tag along?"

"I had a plus one and everyone else was busy."

"No one else can make it and I don't want to be lonely. Wanna go with me?"

"Sorry I guess I forgot to invite you!"

"What do you mean you were there? I could have sworn you were somewhere else... huh poor memory I guess."

"Sorry! There's no room for you to come with! Next time for sure though!"

All of those were common things you'd heard before.

You weren't exactly sure if it was a normal thing in friendships. It must be since no one else mentioned it.

Still, it hurt that you weren't prioritized. You were always the last thought. Last minute.

And you always said yes.

Someone needs you to be their plus one for the dance so they don't look bad?

There you are.

Someone needs a wingman for this boy they like?

You're already on your way.

It's not that you minded.

You just wanted to be... appreciated.

You just wanted them to see you.

Maybe they would if you kept trying.

Maybe they would if you made them a homemade gift for each birthday.

Maybe they would if you always answered back their texts right away.

You thought you needed to earn the right to be appreciated.

You realized how wrong you were when you met the turtles.

————

You brought your jacket closer around your body, shivering.

Of course you had to walk home! Alone! In the dark! In the RAIN!

Apparently it was too much to ask for a ride home after hanging out. There wasn't enough room in the car!

Of course.

Just like every other time, asking to come along was too much.

You shivered again as rain dripped down your back.

"This sucks." You groaned.

You eyed every dark alley way. You'd read enough fanfiction to expect some cringey creepy man to come out and attack you.

But what DID attack you was completely unexpected.

"LOOK OUT!" A voice shouted.

You didn't even have time to flinch before something landed on top of you. The weight of it brought you to the ground with a shriek.

"Sorry about that!"

That wasn't a 'something' but a someone!

They scrambled off you quickly.