Chapter Seven

Triton lay on his back upon his bed, lost in thought about what had happened earlier today.

The angel- Thanatos- had saved him, and when Triton had came to a second time he heard him refusing the debt from the sea. That was not something many would refuse. Poseidon's fins, it wasn't something any land or sky dweller would refuse.

All divine beings took debts very seriously, the refuse one was to reject any thanks. As if to say that their was no problem in doing whatever.

It was confusing to say the least.

Triton was brought out of his thoughts by a bag dropping on top of his stomach.

"I brought food," said the familiar voice of Triton's closest friend, Korigan.

"Did you have to throw it on top of me?"

"Had to make sure you were awake," Korigan answered cheerfully before the bed sank down beside Triton. Signalling that the mernix had chosen to lay beside him.

"Thanks for the concern."

"You are very much welcome, so whats the deal with the sky dude?"

Triton rolled over so that he could face the mernix, "Sky dude?"

Kori turned their head to look over at him, "Yeah the sky dude, wings, long hair and muscles. Are they a girl though? I saw their hair."

Tri could understand their confusion. Kori had been in the sea their entire 2000 years of life. Underwater, hair was a sign of gender as to avoid misgendering. Hair only at the top (like Tritons) signified that they were a merman. Hair all over the head showed that the merfil was a mermaid. Half-shaved showed that the merfil was neither gender, just as Kori wore their hair.

This was not an act of suppression but rather to prevent misgendering and incorrect assumptions. It had been the way of things for millenia. All merfolk liked it, the sea was a rather judge-free place, unless of course you wanted to get wacked by a trident. They didn't question gender identity nor sexuality. Some merfolk like boys, some like girls, some like both and some don't like either. Its all the same to them. No-one really cares unless it affects them.

"He's a guy I think, the land dwellers don't share our customs," Triton said staring back up at the high ceiling.

"Thats weird, what if someone calls them she when their a he?" Kori said mindlessly.

"I don't know, humans are odd."

"You can say that again."

Triton laughed before falling back into his silence from before.

Kori sighed, "Come on Tri talk to me, I'm not a mind reader."

"Why did he save me? It was Hercales who is a lot bigger than him, but angel was able to stop him. Why would he do that? I barely know him! Just why?"

Kori thought for a moment, "Is this the one that called you a siren?"

"Yes."

"Did he at least apologise?"

"Yes and he explained how he didn't know what it meant and how he knew that wasn't an excuse."

"Did he sound sincere?"

"I suppose he did but I was panicking by that point Korigan!"

Kori hummed, "Good point. Is he single?"

"What?" There was times that Triton did not understand what went on within his friends head, this was one of those times.

"Is he single?" Kori repeated.

"I don't know! Like I said I barely know him."

"I ship it."

"You what?"

"You and angel guy, I ship it."

"Ship?"

Kori, at least, had the decency to look embarrassed. "You know, when you think that two beings would be a good couple."

Triton made a face, "You do realise that I've only talked to him twice."

"Three times," Kori corrected.

"But I was unconscious for most of the third time so it doesn't count."

Kori laughed, "Did you converse with the angel before fainting?"

Triton made a noise of protest, "I didn't faint! And yes we did talk."

"Boom! You talked three times!"

Triton rolled his eyes.

"Don't you dare roll your eyes at me young man."

"How did you see that?"

"Magic."

Triton rolled his eyes again. "Of course, also I'm older than you."

"I'm better looking than you."

"Who told you that? Your mother?"

"Yes, and so did yours."

Triton laughed before launching into a story of the stupid things Kym had done since the last time he saw his friend. The story earned some laughs from the mernix and soon they were both crying while laughing. Poseidon had went to enter the room at one point and saw that Kori was there. Then he left without saying anything which sent the two merfolk into another peal of laughter.

They stayed like that for hours, just talking and occasionally laughing, pausing the conversation entirely. Eventually they fell asleep.

Poseidon poked his head around the curtain a few minutes after they had both fallen asleep. Worried by the sudden silence from the two.

He would deny all mention of this but he was relieved that Triton was still himself, despite what he had experienced. Triton wouldn't tell Poseidon what had happened in full, all the sea god knew of was what he had been told by his brother and his lieutenant.

He wouldn't deny that he was worried. Triton had been more closed off and quiet. Sometimes if he struggled to say a word his eyes would flash with panic and he would reach up to touch his throat. After the first time everyone didn't mention it and the one closest to him would just simply place their hand on him. That seemed to make him relax.

At first Poseidon was hesitant about letting Korigan see him and they would no doubt have questions. Then Poseidon realised that Korigan would manage to get in one way or another. They always did seem to be able to get in whenever they wanted.

It annoyed Poseidon that the mernix could get in so easily but it also made him glad that his son had a friend that would go to idiotic lengths to see him. Or just to tell a random story- the seafood incident was not to be mentioned.

Poseidon sighed and went off to look for his other two kids before they managed to get themselves killed.

You would think that Kymopoleia and Anteros would find it hard to get themselves killed as they are gods. Well Poseidon has seen them do some risky atuff and he wasn't about to take any chances. So he went off to look for the idiots, he should probably just follow the next explosion.

If they weren't there then it would be a very long day.

Terminology used:

Merman: a man with two fish tails

Mermaid: a woman with one fish tail

Mernix: non-binary merfil with either one or two tails

Merfolk: underwater word for people, used for lots of mermen/mermaids/mernixes

Merfil: singular version of merfolk, underwater word for person