34. The Hunger

My instinct should have been to run away, but that impulse was smothered by another feeling that flourished whenever I looked at him

My instinct should have been to run away, but that impulse was smothered by another feeling that flourished whenever I looked at him. That, and a belief that even if the body wasn't his to start with, it didn't mean that it wasn't meant to be. It seemed to me that he was exactly who and what he was meant to be, in the same way the lion is meant to kill the gazelle, or the cuckoo is meant to steal a blackbird's nest. Nature was full of vicious acts, but they weren't designed that way. They were just how the world survived. Maybe the Watchers were no different.

But just because it was natural, did that make it any less unfair?

It would be so easy to forget what the Watchers were and how they came to look the way they did, but if I did, would that make me no better than them? If I forgot how they got their bodies, was it as bad as being the one to take them in the first place?

"So how does this relate to the constant eating?" I asked.

"Are you sure you want to talk about this now?"

"I'd rather know now than find out later."

He paused, gathering his words. "When a person goes, sometimes they leave a part of them behind."

"Like a bit of their soul?"

"No, nothing like that. It's more like an imprint of their humanity."

A shiver ran down my spine. "Like their memories?"

"More desires, basic primal needs."

"Cravings?" I asked.

"Yes, it's like a hunger"

"Just for food, or like when I really need coffee in the morning?"

"Sometimes food, it's the easiest way to sate it." He indicated the bowl of sweets. "But sometimes it's not enough. Sometimes the body wants other things." He paused as he watched me briefly. The words caught on his tongue.

"Sex?" I gaped and a wicked smile flashed on his face. My throat ran dry as I battled with the flurry of fantasies his smile had triggered.

"Sometimes," he murmured, his eyes glancing towards me. My heart thud in my chest.

"Do your kind even have sex?"

"Yes, sometimes. Some more than others."

I cleared my throat, trying to push away the explicit images playing in my head. "Have you?"

"No." He shifted. "I was posted in ancient Rome once and that was... uncomfortable. Denying that kind of impulse."

"Why bother fighting it?"

"I'm more than an animal. More than..."

"Than human?" I jeered as I leapt on the brief pause. Anything to divert my attention from the way the light played in his eyes.