Chapter 10

Nina paused for a full minute in the foyer before welcoming her guest inside, suiting up for her role as the perfect well-mannered lady she was raised to be. Opening the front door revealed the tall figure that was her brother-in-law.

"Good morning, Teodoro. I wasn't expecting you." A gracious smile was painted on her features.

"I never tell Luciano ahead of time when I'm coming." He nonchalantly lifted his shoulder, creating creases in his dark-green dress shirt. "Good to see you again," Teodoro said and invited himself in.

I wish I could say the same.

Nina closed the door – a little harder than intended – and trailed after him into the main area. Feeling confused why he had come to visit her.

"And what brings you here, Teodoro?" she kept the tone of her voice neutral, not letting him know how unwanted his sudden appearance was.

He moved his head from side to side seemingly looking for someone. "How odd. Luciano is not here?"

Either he needs to polish his acting skills or he is playing around.

"He left not too long ago."

"Did he now?" Teodoro sat down on one of the armchairs, swung his arm behind it and displayed a bored look.

"You don't look all that surprised to me."

The corners of his lips quirked up. "Can't say I am. I didn't think you would call me out on it though. I'm sure we'll get along."

Nina chose not to comment on his remark. "Can I get you something to drink?"

Teodoro shook his head and motioned at the couch, suggesting she'd join him.

Nina obliged and crossed one leg over the other, her hands on top of each other on her lap. She regarded the young man sitting across her. He had a casual way of speaking, his actions matching accordingly. Despite his attempt to come off in a certain way, Nina couldn't rid herself of the unease at his presence.

"I see my brother upped the security. Not sure if it's because of everything that has been going on or because he has his lovely new wife to protect."

Everything that has been going on? As in Luciano becoming the future Don? I guess The Outfit is going through some changes right now. A new ally and soon enough a new leader. A new Don. My husband.

For the slightest moment, pity flashed across his face. "I must say that I didn't expect Luciano to be this eager to work again. Leaving you to fend for yourself on your first day here. I do apologise on my brother's behalf."

Nina could tell Teodoro wasn't sincere in his apology and it royally ticked her off.

"There is nothing for you to apologise for. I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself," she said with a small smile. "It can't be helped if he has to work. I never asked but what do you do?"

"I am a soldier unlike Luciano who is a capo right now."

Soldier. So, the same as Giorgio.

"I'm sure Luciano will appreciate that. What you said about taking care of yourself." He laughed to himself before saying, "I can't imagine him keeping his sanity with a clingy wife at his side."

"What makes you say that?"

"Nothing really but I know Luciano well enough that he wouldn't want someone like that."

"Good to know."

Nina penned his comment down and put it in her imaginary drawer. She knew she didn't have to give it too much thought. Relying on others and being needy seldom happened.